How To Take Paint Of Of Acrylic???????????

goingpoor

OK JUST BOUGHT THIS TAKE FROM LPS GOT A REALLY GOOD DEAL,THING IS ITS BEEN PAINTED ...BEEN TREYING TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO GET PAINT OFF AT LEAST THE SIDES OF THE TANK WITH OUT RUINING IT ,HELP IF ANYONE HAS ANY SUGGESTIONS IT WOULD BE GREAT!!!!!

reefkprz

Oh god. thats a nightmare I never want to deal with Unfortunatly I have no clue. I'm gonna watch this though (maybe do a little digging for info on the side) and see what comes up. ***)

bellanavis

I have posted 2 times with this same question, both times getting no answers, so good luck, and if you find out, please let me know.

stonedage

on my -- car when want to change the paint on the body, i use brake fluid, it will make the paint go all soft and you will be able to peal it off. I works like a charm. Just try in a small little spot like the bottom corner first, but it has never had any bad effects on the clear car bodies. Let me know if you try and if it works for ya
SA

D

dennis210

Is it acrylic or glass. If acryilc I would learn to live with it! If glass and paint is latex you can razor it off or as stated chemically peel it off.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by Dennis210
Is it acrylic or glass. If acryilc I would learn to live with it! If glass and paint is latex you can razor it off or as stated chemically peel it off.

Hmm the title of the thread is does anyone know how to take paint off acryllic........... nuff said. :thinking:

goingpoor

yes the blue background is ok but i would reather have black ,but its not the back im so worried about its the sides of the tank i wont it off of.and thank you stonedage i will try that and let you know if it works

tacoma38

try a liquid paint remover and dont scrape it at all just rub with a cloth.and repeat and repeat over and over.

ifirefight

Originally Posted by tacoma38
try a liquid paint remover and dont scrape it at all just rub with a cloth.and repeat and repeat over and over.
I would NOT use any liquid remover. First off do you know what kind of paint it is??Second,How thick is the Acrylic? I was in the auto body business many years and I would think you should be able to sand the paint off with a DA (dual-action) sander...and working your way down with finer and finer grit paper..Then buffing the sides with a high speed buffer and compound. I know NOVUS makes plastic polish..I use it on my pinball machine.I would say this is your best bet,try a small area at first. You should end your sanding with at least 1000 grit before buffing.

stonedage

better idea than grinding sanding buffing and hoping it posishes up clear again? brake fluid, JM2C
SA
BTW put some isopropyl(SP) [rubbing alcohol] on a rag and wipe the paint, if it becomes soft and the colour wipes off onto the rag the paint is a latex if it doesnt do anything its oil base

stonedage

goingpoor-did you test it with the iso? the brake fluid will take a bit befor it can cut into the oil(if it even will on oil based) but just dab a bit on a spot and then let it sit for a while and if all goes well when you go back to recheck it the paint should be all wrinkley.
SA

goingpoor

no havent tryed it yet will thow need to get some,didnt have any laying around thought maybe in garage be no.........

goingpoor

tried alcohol paint came off and the brack fluid is working.........yaaaaaa put pictures on when all off.......thank you thank you thank you
stonedage