how to wire?

renogaw

i want to make it so both outlets are covered by a single gfci. reading the instructions shows me i can put the load of the second outlet into the gfci, but that would mean disconnecting the outlet from the wires coming in the box. for some reason, maybe to connect to other outlets?, there are two wires coming in and out of the box, and the two outlets are wired together, all connected at a wire nut. is this going to be an issue?

cranberry

If you connect it at this outlet, the outlets that are downstream from it will also be protected. You have a daisy chain going on there.
Or did I miss the question?

2quills

You have two sets of wires. You have to figure which set is the Hot (coming in). Then hook those up to each side of the GFCI (either top or bottom, but make sure they are either both on top or both on bottom). Then on the other side of the GFCI (either top or bottom) you'll have to jump a hot (black) and a neutral (white) to one side (top or bottom) of the other outlett. And then the other side of the other outlet you'll hook up the wires going out of the box.
Basically what you want is for the GFCI to be installed as the first one in the circuit for other one (as well as whatever else is hoooked up on that circuit further down the line) to be protected.
Essentially you're going to have to disconnect the wirenut on the black wires and daisy chain the outlets.

renogaw

thanks, that's what i ended up doing, and the gfci test trip breaks power to the second outlet.