How too make Base Rock, Live Rock

krunk

i was planning on putting 60 pounds of baserock in my 30 gallon fuge for my 75, when i set it up. Under the perfect water conditions, how long would it take too become live?
i plan on using RO/Di water from a typhoon III. my skimmer will be a turbofloater. DSB, 90 pounds live rock. anything more i should tel you? Should i just crush 5-10 ponds of liverock over the bes rock? use garf grunge?

krunk

o eyah, i will be dripping kalk, and dosing calcium, anything else i should does with? (i am going too try too build a calcium reactor in a few months)

richard rendos

Base Rock will become "live" after 6-8 weeks. That meaning colonized by live bacteria. It could take months more before it starts looking like live rock with coralline algae, tube worms, etc.

krunk

thanks richard. IT doesnt amtter too me if it looks or doesnt look lke liverock, since it is in my fuge. But when it gets the live bacteria, that is when it becomes a filter correct?

leboeuf

what kind of rock is it? Where did it come from? Becareful, lots of rock contain trace elements of metals. This could create a long term problem that you will never win. Just heads up.

krunk

the rock is from hawaii when they dug something. here is what it says on the site.
This Hawaiian Dry-Base Rock is ideal for all marine aquariums. It came from the waters of Hawaii about twenty years ago when they chose to expand one of their harbors. The rock is a calcium-carbonate base, which makes it very dense and helps stabilize the ph. It runs an average ph of 7.8-8.2

T

thomas712

Thats the rock that I started my 90 with, beautiful rock! Perfect baserock for a reef tank.

O

ohioballer

i got the same rock from a guy on ---- at least it sounds like it got it from him bout a year ago it is very nice rock

T

thomas712

Mine was bought on line as well, on ----. Saved me a lot of money. Seeded it with the 50 or so pounds when I tore down my 55 gallon reef.
If it is a must have go to ---- and put in the word "Baserock" then after saving some money spend the savings on the live rock from here.
Just a thought.
Thomas
birdsall12@chartermi.net

mvogel2

found it... good deal, even with the 36 bucks it's going to cost to ship it.
oh yeah... do you need to do anything special with it before you put it in the tank? How do you clean it?
thanks
matt

T

thomas712

I did not clean mine nor rinse it, when putting it in the tank though it will make quite a dust storm. rinse if you prefer if you have an established tank and just want to add more baserock. If you are going to cycle with it then do not rinse it.
just my thoughts.
Thomas

O

ohioballer

i put mine in a rubbermaid tub with a rock with alot of coraline on it already for like 3months took it out and could hardly tell the difference in the live rock and that rock

mvogel2

it's going to be put in a cycling tank... maybe i'll just give it a good once over...
thanks for the advice
matt