How well do those HOB overflows actually work?

emperor11

I want to have a sump on my aquarium, but it isn't drilled. My only option is to get one of these, but I have heard mixed opinions. Some say they don't work worth a darn, and others say they work great. Opinions?

ophiura

Well they work fine. I am not sure why people say they wouldn't work?
Basically water enters a thing on one side of the tank, is siphoned over the side to another half of the over flow, and then down a hose to the sump. Some can be trickier than others...but not an issue, IMO.

emperor11

Thanks guys..that helps a lot. I just got a little freaked when people were saying that the CPR overflows commonly don't work...

ophiura

I don't have a CPR. I have, I dunno, maybe a tidepool one. Was given to me. I don't ask questions. It is a U tube like Reefnut

emperor11

Originally Posted by ophiura
I don't have a CPR. I have, I dunno, maybe a tidepool one. Was given to me. I don't ask questions. It is a J tube like Reefnut

Thanks for the help, guys! Its greatly appreciated!!!
~Adam :happyfish

T

toungetwster

I use a CPR with aqualifter pump and it works like a dream! Never any problems; just remimber to clean off the prefilter sponge!

emperor11

Originally Posted by toungetwster
I use a CPR with aqualifter pump and it works like a dream! Never any problems; just remimber to clean off the prefilter sponge!
Great! The CPR was the one I was concerned about most. So, what happens if the power goes out? Does it make the sump overflow because it keeps siphoning or does it do what an internal overflow would do and stop siphoning once the water level got below the little water inlets.

teen

Originally Posted by Emperor11
Great! The CPR was the one I was concerned about most. So, what happens if the power goes out? Does it make the sump overflow because it keeps siphoning or does it do what an internal overflow would do and stop siphoning once the water level got below the little water inlets.

itll stop once the tank water level gets to low, you just have to worry about the hose that pumps water from the sump back from to the tank because that will cause a siphon back from the tank and that can flood your sump if its lower then the over flow box. hope thats not too confusing

emperor11

Originally Posted by teen
itll stop once the tank water level gets to low, you just have to worry about the hose that pumps water from the sump back from to the tank because that will cause a siphon back from the tank and that can flood your sump if its lower then the over flow box. hope thats not too confusing

No, that actually makes sense. Thanks!

T

toungetwster

To prevent the return pump hose from continuing to back siphon; all you have to do is to drill a small hole (a siphon break). I positioned my siphon break hole about 2 inches below the maximum highest water level in the tank. The first time I tried to see the results in a power failure situation (I cut the power on purpose), it worked like a dream. The aqualifter pump (cost is about $10-12), will get the overflow working again "after" the power comes back on so if you are not at home when the power goes off and then comes back on; your tank will refill and start working again as normal. It works like clock work. I have never had a problem with mine flooding or draining the tank more than what I want.

shrmnator

mine started to slow down today (luckily i noticed)...
air bubbles get in there and you need to restart the siphon every once in a while..
just be sure to watch for a big bubble forming and catch it in time b4 it breaks the siphon!

hurt

Shirminator, your return pump must be returning much less (100gph+) than what the overflow is capable of. If originally it was working fine, I'd check your prefilter on your return pump and clean it out. Either way your flows are not close to matching up, and the water just isn't flowing quick enough through the U-tube. That's why the air bubbles are becoming trapped in the top of it.

shrmnator

Originally Posted by Hurt
Shirminator, your return pump must be returning much less (100gph+) than what the overflow is capable of. If originally it was working fine, I'd check your prefilter on your return pump and clean it out. Either way your flows are not close to matching up, and the water just isn't flowing quick enough through the U-tube. That's why the air bubbles are becoming trapped in the top of it.
nah.. it took a few months to finally accumulate enough to slow down the flow.. its a pretty even match

hummel

Mine CPR overflowed once but that was my fault. I didn't put the tube back on the box properly when I was finished cleaning the tank And it came off with a little help from the cat. Other than that I've had no problems and am happy with it. I use a maxi-jet that came with my seaclone skimmer. The airline intake on the nozzle works perfectly and there is never any bubbles in the overflow
Mark

T

toungetwster

That's why it's recomended that you use an "aqualifter" pump. It continuously sucks the any trapped air and keeps the siphon going.

hurt

Originally Posted by shrmnator
nah.. it took a few months to finally accumulate enough to slow down the flow.. its a pretty even match
Shirminator, I will promise you your flows aren't close to being matched if you are getting airbubbles in the top of the U-tubes. The water is not going through it fast enough and the air bubbles don't make it all the way through. That's why they settle in the top. If you clean out your prefilter, your return pump won't be as restricted and will be able to to put more flow back into your DT to properly match with the overflows capability. But, if you don't want my advice, your overflow will fail. All I am saying is your flows are surely not matched if you are getting airbubbles in the top, I will guarentee that much.

zman1

Google Eshopps... With two Ps.
I have these on a 75 gal. Switch from a vented siphon when I moved the tank. They are u-tube and do a nice job. As Hurt said if you have air bubbles in the top of the tube, then your flow is too slow.
I got mine from the big online retailer in Indianapolis.

reefnut

Originally Posted by Hurt
The water is not going through it fast enough and the air bubbles don't make it all the way through. That's why the settle in the top.
I agree... the only failure I've had with my U-Tube overflows was once when I slowed the flow through my refuge. The flow was not enough to push the bubbles through so it built up and the syphon broke. After that I increased the flow through the refuge and have never had any other problems. I do clean out the tubes about every month... and I don't use any type of pre-filter.