How ya like this sump design?

daredevil

I made up this sump design on my own and wanna know what ya think. This would be the easiest way. The questions I have are from the return pump, do I use pvc piping or plastic tubing? I'm gonna use a 20 gallon high, how high do I make the baffels that r connected to the floor? How far apart will the baffles be and how much clearance would I have betwwen the bottom of the tank and the 2nd baffle? Thanks:)

pyro

Just to let ya know, I found the edit post button recently - and love it - otherwise my # of posts would be practically double
I know it has to be less than 500 X 500, but I'm not sure if there is an overall size requirement (less than 10k maybe?). If so, .bmp's are big files and yours could easily go over that limit. Try saving it as a .gif or .jpg :)
Looks good - you might not want all that flow going through your refuge - it's up to you and what you plan on having in it.
O ya!, I think I found your problem. Try getting rid of the spaces and ' in your name. Change it to anthonyssump.jpg or .bmp or whatever and try - I think that might have been my problem...

pyro

how to edit?:
At the bottom of your individual post where it says the date of post and a couple buttons the edit button is second from the right I beleive.
how to change name?:
Just try right clicking and changing the name to anthonyssump.bmp and try that. If not, you will have to resave it using the program you made it with and goto save as and then select .jpg form the drop down menu beneith the name input box. Then try reposting it. :)

daredevil

thank u sooooooooo much

The questions I have are from the return pump, do I use pvc piping or plastic tubing? I'm gonna use a 20 gallon high, how high do I make the baffels that r connected to the floor? How far apart will the baffles be and how much clearance would I have betwwen the bottom of the tank and the 2nd baffle? Thanks

squidd

To "convert" bmp to jpeg...
Find/open your file...go to "save as" and then convet to jpeg...
Then come back and "repost"....

squidd

Originally posted by daredevil
... do I use pvc piping or plastic tubing?...

Don't use plastic tubing (especially clear) because of Algae build up and restrictions due to "crimping" (not round)...
Hard pvc is good but be carefull how many "elbows" you use..2-45* are better than 1-90*
Spa Flex will get you up and around with less elbows, but cost's a bit more...
Don't use "ribbed" tubing on pump returns (drain OK)
I'm gonna use a 20 gallon high, how high do I make the baffels that r connected to the floor? How far apart will the baffles be and how much clearance would I have betwwen the bottom of the tank and the 2nd baffle? Thanks
20 "high" is awfully "narrow" to fit sump/fuge/return in, 20 long would be better...
But....in "general" from left to right...
First one to bottom and as tall as neccessary to set water height for skimmer and filter...
Second one 1 1/2" to 2" away and 2" up from bottom...might as well run it to the top..
Third not neccessary (save room) or 1" past second from bottom 1/2 height of tank..
Then "fuge" area..
Then baffle sets "depth" of fuge...again about 1/2-3/4 height of tank...
On the other hand...I don't like the "flow through" S/F designs...
Take a look at this...Get a cheap 10 for the overflow/skimmer/return area and use the 20 as a fuge...

daredevil

thanx,but what r elbows,Spaflex, and ribbed tubing? Y cant I just keep it one 20 gallon long and have the fuge in the middle. I was thinking of following the design of the pic u posted(found it on another forum), but Y can't I just use my design? It would be simpler. Y can't I have the fuge in the middle? If I do follow the design like the pic u posted I would have to use one of these? How much would it cost? Thanx alot

steveoutla

Squidd - I thought it was more benificial to have raw water flowing into the fuge rather than skimmed water. Is this the case? I was going to split my overflow to deliver to the sump and the fuge.