Howdo I get ride of hair ALGAE!!

jess

I have a 90g tank. Its been running for a year and a half. The green hair algae is taking over. How can I get rid of it. I have some corals so I already add CAL to the water. I got 3 powerheads moving it. And 4 lights on the tank, adding up to 160W.

OK first of all I need to know some answers to some questions. How long are you leaving your lights on? How much do you feed your fish and how frequently? Do you have a clean up crew, if so what does it consist of?
I had a major outbreak earlier in the year of green hair algae. It will continue to keep growing unless you get rid of all of it. The first thing you need to do is only run your lights for about 6 hours a day. This way it will not contribute to the algae growth. Also, only feed your fish a little bit every 2-3 days. Your fish will not starve...believe me they will find food leftover in the tank. Then you will want to do a big water change!! Before you do the water change you will want to take any rocks you have in your tank and take a toothbrush to them and brush off the hair algae. Be careful to get all of the algae, because if you miss just the tiniest bit, it will grow back again! There will probably be a little green hair algae that you can't see to scrape off....but if you have a good clean up crew, then they will feast on the rest. If you don't have a clean up crew then I suggest getting one soon! For a 90 gallon tank I would suggest 1 turbo snail for every 2 gallons, a few emerald crabs, some red leg hermits, and some blue leg hermits. Also, do you have a protein skimmer? If not, I would seriously think about getting one. HTH and if you have any questions just let me know! My email address is jmc904@cs.com
Jessica :)

jess

I leave my lights on for 10 hours a day. And I have no clean up crew. I have a PORCUPINE puffer so I need a crew with big shells to protect them. Even though I don't think the puffer will bougher them. THANKS SO MUCH. I am moving to a new house in a couple of weeks so I guess that gives me an chance to brush my rocks down with a brush.

uel

Add a Foxface after your move and cleaning. They will eat the hair algae. Snails are the next best at eating hair algae.

nosmada

i had a hair algae problem. i bought more snales and a couple blue legged hermits. did a water change and turned my lights from 10 hours to 8. the problem was gon in about 2 weeks. i really think the snails helped the most. i watched them mow right through the stuff !
hth,
chris

nosmada

i forgot to add that i do not have any corals so am not sure if the snails or hermits would be a problem.
chris