Howdy

peachyintx

Finally bit the bullet and purchased our first SW aquarium on Sunday 02/27/05. 72 Gallon, bowfront. Have got live sand and 45 pounds of live rock in it. Now the wait begins. Anxious to see if any interesting critters come out of the live rock. Tank looks pretty cool as it is now...but we've been getting very excited with seeing the pics of other members tanks and getting lots of ideas of what we'd like to do with ours! We are already discussing getting out our digi cam so that we can take pics of our progress (successes and failures). Hopefully fewer failures and more success! Looking forward to visiting with all of you!

fshhub

welcome aboard!
you're gonna love this hobby.
you are going to want more LR
what are you doing for filtration and circulation?

peachyintx

We have a wet/dry filter system with a protein skimmer. And yes, we are planning on getting some more live rock.

blemmy_guy

Originally posted by PeachyinTx
We have a wet/dry filter system with a protein skimmer. And yes, we are planning on getting some more live rock.

Your a woman after my own heart, im a big fan of wet/dry, and protein skimmer is pretty much a must. How long has your tank been up?? And you dont really need to run your skimmer untill your tank has cycled. just an fyi there. You will need at least one maybe 2 powerheads to move the water, there fully submersible, you dont want any spots in your tank where there not some water movement. What do you plan on keeping in your tank?? Fish only or are you going reef with corals and all?? Welcome to a wonderfull world of saltewater fish. And there are some great people on this site to help you through it. Just take everyones advise and do what you feel the most comfortable and can afford and go with it!! Welcome!! todd

snipe

Just like blemmy to not mention me! lol.
Welcome to the bords this hobby dont have to be expensive but once you get into it will be lol. It isnt mutch "once you get addicted" to drop a few hunderd at the drop of a hat. Ask blemmy! In his case it is a couple thousand lol :)

blemmy_guy

Howdy Snipester!!!!!!! Hadnt seen ya in a few days!! I forgot about ya already!!
Just kiddin !! You know i love ya! Sorry Peachy i forgot to warn ya about Snipe, you got to watch out for him, hes kinda shady! :) He likes to break into peoples houses and steal there fish!!! Todd
:hilarious

peachyintx

Originally posted by Blemmy_Guy
Your a woman after my own heart, im a big fan of wet/dry, and protein skimmer is pretty much a must. How long has your tank been up?? And you dont really need to run your skimmer untill your tank has cycled. just an fyi there. You will need at least one maybe 2 powerheads to move the water, there fully submersible, you dont want any spots in your tank where there not some water movement. What do you plan on keeping in your tank?? Fish only or are you going reef with corals and all?? Welcome to a wonderfull world of saltewater fish. And there are some great people on this site to help you through it. Just take everyones advise and do what you feel the most comfortable and can afford and go with it!! Welcome!! todd

Thanks for the warm welcome! Our tank has been up since Sunday, 2/27/05. We don't have the protein skimmer running yet (under the advisement of our LFS and various research)...we just went ahead and got as much of the equipment that we needed to be prepared to go for what we wanted from the get go...rather than putting it together in a basic fashion and then wanting to upgrade it shortly down the road. This included our lighting. We went ahead and upgraded our lighting so that we can have a reef with coral and fish aquarium. We also have 1 powerhead right now. That may be something that we look into getting another one. We'll just have to kind of play that by ear and see what we end up getting as livestock. Again, thanks for the welcome and I'm sure you'll be hearing from us.

peachyintx

Originally posted by Snipe
Just like blemmy to not mention me! lol.
Welcome to the bords this hobby dont have to be expensive but once you get into it will be lol. It isnt mutch "once you get addicted" to drop a few hunderd at the drop of a hat. Ask blemmy! In his case it is a couple thousand lol :)

Thanks for the welcome and yes...I can see that this hobby can be expensive. I think our biggest "sticker shock" was the initial set up. But....I can also see that we are definetly going to have to start a seperate savings fund so that we can "drop a few hundred at the drop of a hat". Hmmmm....

[hr]
payment.....new coral?!? LOL

blemmy_guy

Yep its def. expensive, i take care of 2 other saltwater tanks, and i use that money for my tank, plus a little extra!!! ive got about
6, 000.00 in my 125 gal! , not so much in my 70 gal yet, shes still going through her cycle!! almost done though! good luck. todd