howmuch money do you have in your systems?

klongo

My hubby (also keeper of the $$$) says it's around $3000 for my 150 and we've only added 3 corals and some chromis and a flame hawk - the expensive fish are still a few months away......

pwnag3!!

ok lets see
65gallon tank and stand with canopy 350
90# sand to go in $90 plus tax
65# LR around $230
96# base rock $24
CS102 overflow $118
Mag 18 $179
Seio 620 $34
Via aqua Protein skimmer $130
Won Titanium heater $30
6x95 VHO set up with bulbs $330
I did not include fish and other items that were wasted and discarded in the process...or the Plumbing parts.
total cost 1515

thangbom

hum.. well let me see..only had my fowlr for 1 1/2 years about..let c what i can remeber on the $$
$650 on new 155 bowfront....
$300 on home made custom stand.. friggin thing was hard to build.. friggin bow!!!!!!
$250 on light
$300 for LR
$185 for bio-ball fillter / sump
$200 for iwaki return pump
$150 for ro/di unit
$170 for turbo floter w/ pump
$100 glass top for 155 bow front..
$500+ in dead fishes...
soo sad...
$400+ in fishes still thriving in tank
over $300 in misc. stuff like trash can for water change, plumbling for filter, powerheadzz.. ect..
ohh yeah im a bargen shopper by the way....
$3200+ .. so far.... more to come....
then my older bro and i are setting up a new 90 gal reefer... but so far only have tank , stand,hilde,pump... soo.. there goo more $$

pterois

IMO folks new to this hobby really need to see this thread. I keep shocking my hubby with things I must have.

I just began in June 04, here's the list so far. Understand that I am a major at bargain hunting, but have learned the hard way that the LFS sold me a bunch of junk to get rid of it. Now I've got to upgrade.
30 gallon with oak stand $35 at a neighbors yard sale
Millenium 3000 $50 used by LFS (leaked after 3 weeks)

Penguin 330 $65
300 watt heater $35
powerhead $40
PC Light kit $145
live sand $80
live rock $100
1 Dwarf Lionfish $42 (hand feeding him, priceless)
1 damsel free
$592 and just getting started
All of the equipment in the above, except the heater, need to be upgraded. Skimmer/Sump=More $$$
55 gallon $200 from a neighbor again, came with metal stand (discarded)
Stand--hubby's oak desk converted (I'm still paying for that
)
ProClear 75 sump/skimmer $275
2 powerheads $110
Live sand $150
Live rock $350

10 gal refugium $125 (so far)
VHO lighting 660 watts w/ 2 PFO ballasts retrokit $250 :D
IO Salt $89
RSea Test kit $60 (needs to be upgraded)
Various additives/conditioners $45
Snowflake Eel $45
$1688 and again, just getting started
Plus Distilled water $12 per week
Egads! Hubby doesn't need to see this thread. He gives new meaning to the word "thrifty".
Angela

scoobydoo

When I had about $1300 in my 29g, I stopped keeping track. I had a spreadsheet and everything. Deleted that. Upgraded to the 125g and now have no idea, nor do I want to know!

900dublr

55 gal- free (dad gave it 2 me)
stand-free (xmas gift)
skimmer-100
lr-70
powerheads-40
heater-30
tests-25
fish-60
dead fish-45
still have lots more to spend...

harlequin

A 55 and 65 reef tank, a large number of smaller tanks, both setup and taken down, fish, corals. yeah I am pushing 3k easily if not probably more.
One reason I have taken to doing alot of wildcaught stuff lately, much cheaper both in updating equipment and fish heheh.

sw65galma

I got about $10,000+ into my tanks.
And no one is even close to done...I'd say I have another $5,000 left to go.

steveoutla

I think all the newbie's need to see this thread so they don't make the same mistake I did and try to go cheap.........it costs so much more in the end to do it that way!!! Now I just have to find a way to convince my wife to let me get a bigger tank!! I got her pearls for Christmas and that didn't even work! :D

sw65galma

Originally posted by steveoutla
I think all the newbie's need to see this thread so they don't make the same mistake I did and try to go cheap.........it costs so much more in the end to do it that way!!! Now I just have to find a way to convince my wife to let me get a bigger tank!! I got her pearls for Christmas and that didn't even work! :D

Try the "Honey a larger tank is SO Much easier to take care of, better water stability/ I don't have to do as much work to it and We can have Awsome fish!!"

sw65galma

Originally posted by Pterois
IMO folks new to this hobby really need to see this thread. I keep shocking my hubby with things I must have.

I just began in June 04, here's the list so far. Understand that I am a major at bargain hunting, but have learned the hard way that the LFS sold me a bunch of junk to get rid of it. Now I've got to upgrade.
30 gallon with oak stand $35 at a neighbors yard sale
Millenium 3000 $50 used by LFS (leaked after 3 weeks)

Penguin 330 $65
300 watt heater $35
powerhead $40
PC Light kit $145
live sand $80
live rock $100
1 Dwarf Lionfish $42 (hand feeding him, priceless)
1 damsel free
$592 and just getting started
All of the equipment in the above, except the heater, need to be upgraded. Skimmer/Sump=More $$$
55 gallon $200 from a neighbor again, came with metal stand (discarded)
Stand--hubby's oak desk converted (I'm still paying for that
)
ProClear 75 sump/skimmer $275
2 powerheads $110
Live sand $150
Live rock $350

10 gal refugium $125 (so far)
VHO lighting 660 watts w/ 2 PFO ballasts retrokit $250 :D
IO Salt $89
RSea Test kit $60 (needs to be upgraded)
Various additives/conditioners $45
Snowflake Eel $45
$1688 and again, just getting started
Plus Distilled water $12 per week
Egads! Hubby doesn't need to see this thread. He gives new meaning to the word "thrifty".
Angela

Don't forget.
Comming to this board and learning that everything you bought is junk, fish are to big for the tank, you don't need damsels to cycle, and you kill hundreds of dollars of fish needlessly.
Priceless:mad:

steveoutla

SW - I've tried everything in the book. I convinced her to let me get the 55g so we could get more than 4 tiny fish. Now I just need to wait until the summer and go for the 125g. I could always use the "Honey, if I had a bigger tank I could spend more time with the kids and less time on the deck drinking scotch and smoking cigars."
I think that one might actually work!!

robchuck

My 29g reef is made up almost entirely of second hand equipment:
-29g drilled tank & stand (used): $80
-Canopy made of scrapwood: $0
-250W PFO lighting (used): $50
-Mag 9.5 return pump (recycled from a previous system): $0
-Misc. plumbing: $75
-Phosban reactor: $30
-American DJ power center: $30
-DIY LED moonlighting: $5
-Heater: $20
-AquaC EV-180 Protein Skimmer, Precision Marine Ca Reactor (clone), and a gently used acrylic sump were all aquired in a trade with the Euro Reef CS6-1 pump that was originally in use on this tank (the ER skimmer was aquired for almost next to nothing a few years ago): $0
Total: $290
(The livestock and live rock was all transferred over from a previous setup.)
Now my next setup will be an inwall tank somewhere between 200-300 gallons with a filtration room, and with the preliminary planning I've been doing, I figure I'll be spending somewhere between $5,000 and $7,000 spread out over the next year, and I will be recycling alot of equipment I have in use in the 29g and alot of other equipment in storage from previous setups.