How's this for aggressive?

reef fool

Here is my new 6" peacock mantis shrimp that I set up my old 20 gallon fuge to house!! He is really cool!! AND MEAN TOO!!

j.unit

Will he try to break the glass? I have a spare 10g that I would love to do a mantis in. How do you feed him and monitor him?
Justin

reef fool

My LFS has been holding him for me for 3 weeks now and I just picked him up yesterday (Tuesday). So far I have only fed him a ghost shrimp. In three weeks at the LFS, he ate several snails and hermits. He isn't really a fish eater. He was in a tank at the LFS store with a small cinamon clown and a small damsel and he never touched them. As far as monitoring him, I'm not sure what you mean. He is hooked into my extremely stable reef system. I plan on feeding him like once or twice a week.
As far as breaking my glass, I sure hope not!! know it is possible, but I am hoping that he won't. It's not tempered, so I guess at the worst, he will just crack it.:nervous:

peejfish

well i doubt he'll break the glass...that type of stomapod isn't as strong i don't think but it could happen...the glass breakers are the ft long californian species...i think from what i've read on the mantis boards on this other site...now that you have one you might wanna go to google and search for "mantis shrimp message boards" pretty good info anyhow looks like a nice shrimp to me try puttin in a live crayfish

reef fool

Originally posted by Velocity
how did u transfer him to the tank? i would be terrified that he would try to shoot at me.

He's really not that scary. I just scooped him out with a net and flipped him in. After acclimation of course.

flydan

Hey,
That's not a heater he's sitting on is it? I'm sure it could break the glass on a heater very easily and zap everything in the water. Just my .02 I don't think it's a heater though, it looks more like a bubble thingy.
Dan'l

franks reef

Originally posted by FlyDan
Hey,
That's not a heater he's sitting on is it? I'm sure it could break the glass on a heater very easily and zap everything in the water. Just my .02 I don't think it's a heater though, it looks more like a bubble thingy.
Dan'l

Yeah, that's a heater! It's titanium though. The only heater to buy IMO.

barry cuda

Wow, the more I read about these guys the more I want one ... how big a tank should I have to keep a mantis? And are there any fish that are safe around them? If I had a mantis in with, say, a zebra moray, would one be likely to kill the other?