Hqi bulb...ceramic end chipped/cracked

ogredawg

is this safe to use? I just bought this bulb earlier today and when both of the ceramic end chipped.

mojo46825

I wouldnt see why not.Keep an eye on it but it shouldnt be and issue. I replace infared bulbs that use ends like this and they are all chipped. About 126 on top and 150 bulbs on bottom per heat tunnel. so 276 bulbs with chips. Been working as long as i worked there. just my opinion though.

scsinet

Yes it should be fine. As long as no parts are exposed to where they can come in contact with you or the water, and as long as the lamp is still securely held in place, and as long as the glass/quartz envelope of the lamp is intact, you should have no issues, safety or otherwise.

mterrace

Same exact thing just happened to me today...I bought 2 new USHIO bulbs and when I put the first one in -- one of the ceramic "tops" chipped off....so I wanted to be more careful when I put the second bulb in...well BOTH ends chipped off....so much for being careful...after spending $90/bulb I was almost sick to my stomach....
But both lights are working fine though. I was just looking on SWF to see if it would be ok....and found your thread....
Who is the manufacturer of the bulbs that you are using?
Mark