HQI Hailde

thinking about getting a new light for my 55 gallon ... i know i want a sunpod metal halide fixture (unless someone can give me reason why not)........ it's either 2 x 250s watts or 2 x 150s watts
just curious if i will not like the total 500 watts compared to the 300 watts???
what is too much power ? it's just a normal 55 gallon nothing speical HELP

wangotango

IMO the 2x 150w fixture would work just fine. I don't think the 250s would be too much, but with a tank with very little surface area you might run into temperature problems.
-Justin

the tank will be somewhat be under a ceiling fan ....,(worry about topping off water all the time blah! :( )thanks i may just go with the 300 watts but the 500 watts is like just an extra 100 bucks i just don't wanna be cheap about this and have to pay for it later for buying a new light yaaa know ?

wattsupdoc

I haven't heard any bad about the sunpods. A friend of mine has one and he loves it. The 300 watt jobber will do you for an 18in tall tank. I think If I remember right the standard 55 is 48LX15WX18T....However if you plan to upgrade the tank in the future, you might go ahead with the 500w. jobber. This would save you from having to upgrade it also if you upgrade the tank to either another 4 foot tank(I think AGA has a 90 that's 4 foot, as well there are various ones that are 4 foot). Being as the light has stands for it, and is open topped, placing a fan blowing across the surface should take care of any heat issues. Additionally, there are many more 250w bulb choices out there than there are 150w choices...

gatorwpb

Ive got the 2x150w 36" sunpod and love it. But now that Im into SPS, the 2x250w would have been a better choice. But 300w still works beautifully on my tank.