HQI - Have you experienced?

beachbumtx

About the beginning of July I got two HQI pendants with 150 watt 14K bulbs that run on a dual ballast. From time to time, the bulbs run a little bit on the white side and sometimes a little bit on the blue side. Sometimes one bulb is white and the other is blue at the same time. Both bulbs do this. I got these units through Champion lighting and they are Blueline brand. I am curious if anyone else has experienced this???

stonynut

i have 2x 150w DE on one tank.. and 3x 250wDEs on another (PFO ballasts)... i have never had daily changes in bulb color.

beachbumtx

Originally Posted by StonyNut
i have 2x 150w DE on one tank.. and 3x 250wDEs on another (PFO ballasts)... i have never had daily changes in bulb color.
Talking with with a coworking I work with at our LFS, he seems the think that perhaps it is power fluxuation. Meaning the voltage coming into the apartment may be fluxuating enough to see different color outputs. He thinks that MH will show it more so then any other type of bulb.

stonynut

would a line conditioner help in this situation (like what you use for computers when you have sketchy power)?

beachbumtx

Thant might work. He suggested I run a heavy duty extension cord to an outlet on a different circut to see if that improves the light output. May be a lot of power running on the same circut. I have the pumps and refugium light on the same circut.

stonynut

being in an apt you are limited... but the more devices you can run on seperate circuits the better
example... if the lights trip a breaker... the breaker that runs the pumps is still on, etc.

beachbumtx

Originally Posted by StonyNut
being in an apt you are limited... but the more devices you can run on seperate circuits the better
example... if the lights trip a breaker... the breaker that runs the pumps is still on, etc.

Luckily, nothing has trip any breakers in the 6 years I have lived there. However, there still may be a heavy load on that one particular circut. I am sure my TV and computer are on the same circuit....same wall just on the opposite of the wall in another room.