HQI UV Protection

squidd

Yep...
At the very least, you'll be able to put more of the high light demanding corals/clams..."deeper" in the tank and still be safe...
IE: more real estate...location, location, location... :yes:

ebsochin

If you have the $$ to spend on upgrading to 250's then I would say go for it. You have more K spectrum to choose from as well as the increase in wattage per gallon will allow pretty much whatever type coral you want. :cheer: Good luck with the brackets and let us know how it turns out.

balistik1

Everything has a price, right?
lol
So anyway, I am welcoming recomendations as to what to get for 250 double ended bulg and ballast.
Anyone?

squidd

PFO Magnetic HQI ballast(s) a dual and a single..
Phoenix 14K bulbs
and 3 PFO mini pendants...

squidd

Noooo...Just Kiding... :D
I like magnetic ballasts over electronic.... More power driving bulbs...
I like HQI ballasts ...more PAR...
I like the Phonenix bulb for a "compromise" of slight blue tint of color, and good growth potential (relatively high PAR for 14k bulb)
And the PFO stuff is relatively low cost, plug and play...

balistik1

Ok I know I have been asking a lot of questions but here is another.
I was thinking that maybe I would hold off on getting more MH lights.
After looking at my pictures in this post, do you think that I should replace those power compacts with 72" VHO x2 ? Actinic? 50/50? This will help in giving me more watts per gallon correct?
Would this be a smart way to go?

ebsochin

The 72" VHO are awesome and not too expensive either. I bought mine for $42 each. Plus they do add more wattage and you will get even lighting throughout the entire fixture if it is a 6 foot tank.
Just for an example for you, I have 2 250W DE HQI Ushio bulbs with 4 72" Actintic VHO bulbs on my 180gal. It provides a really nice color blend. I could have added a third MH but in the middle of my tank I have a 14" piece of glass that braces the tank. So I wasn't sure if the MH would penetrate the glass enough. In the end it works out because some of the corals that I have that don't like a lot of light are able to be placed high up in the LR in the middle of the tank. Just a suggestion for you.

ebsochin

The VHO's are 160W Coralife Actintic bulbs- total of 4 and then I have 2 250W DE HQI Ushio Bulbs powered by Icecap electronic ballasts. Here are a couple of photos. The one that is close up is a picture of the brace that I had to install in the middle to hold the glass. The canopy was wider in the middle than on the outside edges and the glass was falling down. The 2 fans are 4 inch 120V fans that help with cooling, one pushing air in and the other expelling air.

squidd

Looks kinda "dark" in the center, but as you've stated, it does give a place for less light demanding corals.

balistik1

Nice...
Why did you choose to go with 4 Actinics?
Does it give you the same amount of light.
Is the par rating the same?

ebsochin

The main reason it is dark in the center is because of the 14" glass brace for the tank. That and there isn't a MH in the center.
I went with the 4 VHO's for the extra wattage and coloring due to only having 2 MH. I think it balances out nicely. As far as the par value, I'm still not really understanding this whole par thing. My understanding was that you needed a certain watts/gallon for corals.
With the 4 VHO's I get a total of 640Watts instead of only 320Watts if I only had 2 VHO's. In a way it makes up for not having the third MH. Just something to think about.
Hey Squidd, could you share with me about this whole par thing? I would love to learn more.

balistik1

I would love to understand it also. I know the watts per gallon is just a guide.
I need to buy more lights but I am still unsure what to get.

ebsochin

balistik1- What are you looking to keep. If you only want LPS, soft corals, mushrooms and the like, what you have is enough. If you are looking into SPS corals then that is when your lighting really becomes important.
Do you have any braces in your tank like mine does? If so I would recommend the same solution I have. 2 250W DE HQI and 4 VHO .
If you don't have the brace then I would suggest 3 MH 250W DE HQI and either 2 or 4 VHO (your choice). 2 would be enough but 4 would make it shine so nice.
Come up with what you want to keep and then figure the lighting to meet the demands. HTH.