HQI UV Protection

squidd

Come up with what you want to keep and then figure the lighting to meet the demands.
That prettty much sums it up for lighting "needs"...What are you planning on keeping...?

balistik1

I would probably want to get some SPS. I am not sure as of yet but I would hate to be limited.
Since I will be setting up a 125 I want to do it right.
I may not go as far as changing all my MH from 150 to 250 but I sure can add VHO to give me more light for not as much money.
I was thinking 3 150 MH 2000(this is wht I got)
Adding 4 VHO 160w 72" long ( not sure what kind of bulb or V rating. I could also use help here also.
What do you think squidd?

squidd

Your 125 is only 20" "Tall" isn't it...??
Then the 3X150 DE Should be fine although I'd suggest upgrading to Magnetic HQI ballasts for a bit more useable energy (PAR)

ebsochin

balistik1- Do your 20K bulbs now have a bluish tint to them like most 20K's have? If so I would suggest splitting up the additional VHO bulbs to 2 Atintic and 2 10,000K. That way you have more "white" light for a better look as well as the 10,000K is better for growth (I think) :notsure: Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Squidd is right as far as the magnetic ballast. It would drive the 150W bulbs more providing more par.
If you went with the 3 150W DE HQI 20,000K and 2 72" VHO Actintic and 2 72" VHO 10,000K that would give you a total of about 9W per gallon. EXCELLENT for pretty much any type of coral.
IMO that is the way you should go.

balistik1

Originally Posted by Squidd
Your 125 is only 20" "Tall" isn't it...??
Then the 3X150 DE Should be fine although I'd suggest upgrading to Magnetic HQI ballasts for a bit more useable energy (PAR)
From top lip to bottom it is 22" tall
ebsOCHIN: I also thnk that idea is good. It will give me a variation.
Now, does it matter what kind of ballast I get for the VHO?
And also, if I change my ballast to the Magnetic HQI ballasts, does it matter which kind I get?
Are they all the same?
Recomendations? I have bought all of my stuff from hello lights dot com and they have been pretty good.

ebsochin

I'm not sure to much about the magnetic ballasts because I have Icecap electronic ballasts for my hallides but I'm sure anything they sell is good. I've visited their site in the past and almost bought from them but decided to go with another company.
As far as the ballast for the VHO's I would go with Ice Caps if you have the $$. They are awesome and have very little heat issues. If you can't afford or don't want to spend that much, pretty much any ballast will work for them. Hello lights should have everything you need. Good luck.

balistik1

Ok here is what I decided to get
3 MH ballast HQI 150w
3 MH double ended 150w 20000k
2 VHO Daylight 10,000k
1 ballast for the 2 VHO
Total watts = 770 almost 6 1/2 wpg
Is this good enough to keep a good selection of corals?

squidd

I'd say that lighting will allow you to keep most anything you want in you 125...BUT...
This is a little different than your original plan of adding one MH and getting UV protection...
At this point if your going to purchase all new ballasts, bulbs, and are going to need fixtures "anyway"..it's only a few bucks more to bump it all up to 250 DE stuff...
Then for sure you can have the High light demanding corals, "and" have a system you can transfer to a slightly larger tank... (you know that's coming)...

balistik1

Actually, what I just mentioned is priced around 483.00
To upgrade to 250's will cost me around 798.00
This is also including 2 VHO's and setup.

ebsochin

balistik1- Don't you already have the 150W 20,000K DE HQI bulbs? One last thing, I would recommend getting an additional 2 VHO's and ballast for them so you would have a total of 4 VHO's and 3 MH. I think you would have a more complete look in the tank with light in all areas. If you got 4 VHO's then you could also add atintics if the 20,000K bulbs weren't blue enough. Just a thought. Everything looks good so far though. The pricing you got wasn't bad at all either.
I tend to agree with squidd on this one. The 250W bulbs would give you more lighting and then you would be able to ugrade to a larger tank in the future plus you would be able to keep any coral you would like with the 3 250W and VHO's.
:D It really is up to you though and what your willing to spend.

balistik1

Yeah I do have the MH already.
I just decided to put it on the list so I could show what I plan of having.
I am really worried about heat and electricity so that is basically why I don't want to go from 2 VHO's to 4 VHO's.
If I did decide to go to 4 VHO's the price jumps up to 710.55 and a total of 1165 watts.
If I did that then I could go with the 3 250w MH and 2 VHO's and everything else I need to get to run it for 798.00 and 1070 watts.
These prices are without shipping.

squidd

Now the numbers are closer...
Then after you sell the 150 stuff to Network13 your coming out looking pretty good... :D

balistik1

Ok Ok if I do one of the scenarios above, which is better?
As you can see, the one with 4 VHO's give me more light at a cheaper cost.

ebsochin

If you are worried about heat issues then go with the 4 VHO's. Another thought to think about is bulb replacement. VHO bulbs are a lot less expensive then MH bulbs, especially the double ended bulbs. The "average" life of bulbs is different between different bulbs and I believe different between the VHO's and MH. All bulbs will loose their effective par rating over time and need to be replaced. If you went with the 3 250W MH and 2 VHO, you would have less bulbs to replace over time. Only 2 less but none the less it will save you $$ in the long run. Make the choice that best suits your needs because either way you will have enough lighting for your corals.