Hugry Plate coral

jmcsalt

Hello all! as you can see this s my first post. I have learned so much form these forums. Here is my question.....Can you over feed Corals? We have a plate and we have fed it a few bits of mysis. After it consumes it the tennicles come back out and the mouth extends. Does ths mean it is still wanting more or is this just its normal feeding reaction. My open brain does the same thing. So how much do you feed these guys. Another question now that I'm thinking about it....... When feeding many mouthed corals (bubble and Hammer) how many mouths do you feed? :notsure: Thanks for any and all input

uberlink

Best move is to underfeed. This goes for almost everything in your tank. They are evolved to much less generous conditions than they find in the tank, and can survive on relatively little food. For a plate coral, I'd suggest feeding a small amount 2-3 times per week. That will keep it healthy, and it will minimize the amount of nutrients going into your water. That will keep nitrates to a minimum (good for your corals) and it will keep algae in check.

jmcsalt

Originally Posted by uberlink
Best move is to underfeed. This goes for almost everything in your tank. They are evolved to much less generous conditions than they find in the tank, and can survive on relatively little food. For a plate coral, I'd suggest feeding a small amount 2-3 times per week. That will keep it healthy, and it will minimize the amount of nutrients going into your water. That will keep nitrates to a minimum (good for your corals) and it will keep algae in check.

Thank You for the input