huh oh.... did i just crash my tank? (Temp swing)

kilofey

So i went to do a water change, the way i have it set up, i basically dont have to ever touch water except to get the siphon started that is taking the old water out. For the new water, i just drop a pump with a hose attatched and let it fill the tank back up...
I didnt realize my heater stopped working, so my new water was pretty cold. It dropped my tank from 80 deg down to 75 deg. Some of my corals are about half way closed, but that always happens when i do water changes because of the comotion... and whats worse, i have some brand new corals acclimating in the tank!!! A beautiful open brain and a birds nest and a leather tree. I figured id do a quick water change while they float since the heaters are always set to the same temp, then i was going to let them float for about an hour more then start transfering some water.
I always do a felresh water change when i get new corals, and it has always worked out for me. I just didnt relaize my heater was broken :cry:

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilofey http:///t/393222/huh-oh-did-i-just-crash-my-tank-temp-swing#post_3496648
So i went to do a water change, the way i have it set up, i basically dont have to ever touch water except to get the siphon started that is taking the old water out. For the new water, i just drop a pump with a hose attatched and let it fill the tank back up...
I didnt realize my heater stopped working, so my new water was pretty cold. It dropped my tank from 80 deg down to 75 deg. Some of my corals are about half way closed, but that always happens when i do water changes because of the comotion... and whats worse, i have some brand new corals acclimating in the tank!!! A beautiful open brain and a birds nest and a leather tree. I figured id do a quick water change while they float since the heaters are always set to the same temp, then i was going to let them float for about an hour more then start transfering some water.
I always do a felresh water change when i get new corals, and it has always worked out for me. I just didnt relaize my heater was broken

You didn't crash your tank...the corals should bounce back. 5 degrees is much like if a storm rolled in and the temps dropped, it happens in nature so I feel pretty confident telling you not to worry.. The new corals in the bag...just let them float until the temp in the bag is the same as the tank, then add a little of your tank water to the corals a bit at a time over an hour....or whatever the regular acclimate method you do, and get the temps back up slow and steady.

kilofey

You didn't crash your tank...the corals should bounce back. 5 degrees is much like if a storm rolled in and the temps dropped, it happens in nature so I feel pretty confident telling you not to worry.. The new corals in the bag...just let them float until the temp in the bag is the same as the tank, then add a little of your tank water to the corals a bit at a time over an hour....or whatever the regular acclimate method you do, and get the temps back up slow and steady.
Thank you, i feel a bit better. Im seeing little pale white spots on my new brain, but then again i may just be ovit analyzing it since im paranoid lol. I dont see the skeleton or anything.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilofey http:///t/393222/huh-oh-did-i-just-crash-my-tank-temp-swing#post_3496719
Thank you, i feel a bit better. Im seeing little pale white spots on my new brain, but then again i may just be ovit analyzing it since im paranoid lol. I dont see the skeleton or anything.
I never had much luck with brains (LOL..that sounds pretty funny), new corals need time to bloom after just arriving, the less you mess with them the better.

acrylic51

5 degrees is a big swing.....1-2 degrees can be detrimental to a system, but I think you'll be just fine......

kilofey

5 degrees is a big swing.....1-2 degrees can be detrimental to a system, but I think you'll be just fine......
well, my temp is back up and everyone seems happy today. Not sure if im out of the woods, but im confident itll be okay now.
:laughing: lesson learned :laughing:

kilofey

I never had much luck with brains (LOL..that sounds pretty funny), new corals need time to bloom after just arriving, the less you mess with them the better.
Haha, well ive never had a brain, this is my first :) its so wierd how sometimes people, like you, have been in the hobby so long just dont have luck with certain types of corals and total noobs, it seems by pure luck do just fine with them... makes me wonder if sometimes our tanks are too clean or have too much lighting or something. Flower, ive read lots of your posts and you seem very well educated about sw tanks id think youd be able to handle pretty much anything lol.
Me on the other hand, my tank is just strange. Ive lost some of the easiest corals, and the tougher ones grow like crazy. I honestly cant figure it out. The only corals ive ever lost are green star polyps (which ive now bought 3 playing card sized frags and dont have ANY), a mushroom, some polyps and some of my pulsing xenia.... BUT my green cap monti, orange cap monti, montipora digita, and frogspawn are doing wonderful. Corals are wierd :laughing:

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilofey http:///t/393222/huh-oh-did-i-just-crash-my-tank-temp-swing#post_3496921
Haha, well ive never had a brain, this is my first :) its so wierd how sometimes people, like you, have been in the hobby so long just dont have luck with certain types of corals and total noobs, it seems by pure luck do just fine with them... makes me wonder if sometimes our tanks are too clean or have too much lighting or something. Flower, ive read lots of your posts and you seem very well educated about sw tanks id think youd be able to handle pretty much anything lol.
Me on the other hand, my tank is just strange. Ive lost some of the easiest corals, and the tougher ones grow like crazy. I honestly cant figure it out. The only corals ive ever lost are green star polyps (which ive now bought 3 playing card sized frags and dont have ANY), a mushroom, some polyps and some of my pulsing xenia.... BUT my green cap monti, orange cap monti, montipora digita, and frogspawn are doing wonderful. Corals are wierd

Actually corals are picky and can only survive under certain conditions. Every coral you mentioned likes a little (not too much but some) nitrate. Those all did really well in my reef tank. I'm not well educated in SW tanks...I learned what I do know, right here on the forum, and I learn a little more all the time. So all you have to do is hang around, and before you know it...LOL...you will sound like an expert, when compared to the ***** workers.
LOL...If you want to feel thin, tall and beautiful...hang out with short fat ugly people.