Humidity?

x.ace.x

I'm still in the "convincing parents to get me a saltwater aquarium" stage and a question they brought up is how much humidity a saltwater tank will put into a room?.. I'm planning on putting the tank in my bedroom and I usually keep my door closed, so will this cause a big humidity problem? Or is there anything else I should know about having a tank in a closed room, instead of in an open-concept type living room or something?
-Thanks
(sorry if this is in the wrong place)

mr_x

what size tank and what size room? what lighting? what is the temp in that room to start with?
there are ways to cut down the humidity to an unnoticeable point, but you will always have some sort of evaporation.

omen nemzo

I have a 40g in my room and my room is warmmer then the rest of the house but I dotn think there is to much humidity. the size of the tank and what lights filter system will determan the humidity factor. if you tell use what size tank and what type of lighting and filters you want we could give you a better idea

x.ace.x

I don't have a tank yet but i'm thinking no more than about 75 gallons, and it will probably just be florescent lighting.. the room is about 15 ft X 12 ft+ (my measuring tape wasn't long enough..) as for filters, I plan on using live rock and an external power filter and a protein skimmer (i don't know what kinds yet)
edit: the room is 63ºF

mr_x

if you are just planning to keep fish, and not corals, the evaporation will not be as bad as if you had powerful lights over it. i don't think it will be noticeable.

gmann1139

For those of us in the NE, where the humidity in the winter is pretty much 0, any type of evaporation into the room is welcome.
Short of having a very big (100 gallon plus) tank, with heavy lights (Big MH), in a very small (think bathroom) type room, I don't think you'd notice a difference.
BTW, why is the room at 63 F? That's pretty cold. I'd double the wattage of your heaters to compensate.

x.ace.x

Originally Posted by gmann1139
http:///forum/post/2667395
BTW, why is the room at 63 F? That's pretty cold. I'd double the wattage of your heaters to compensate.
My room is in the basement and that's just how cold it gets when we set the temperature upstairs to 68 F, I don't mind though, I like it that way.

gmann1139

Is your basement 'moist' to start with? If so, that will reduce the amount of evaporation.
Other than that, I stand by my comment of going more than 5x on your heater. You'll want to be able to compensate for the extra heat loss your tank will experience.