Humu Humu throwing sand all around

gregarch99

I have a relatively small tank and plan on upgrading soon. It's a 20g and I have a humu-humu in there along with some corals (and a few other fish). Everytime I do a water change (once a week) for the next day or two he'll pick the sand up in his mouth and throw it all over the place. He keeps putting it on top of some of my zoos and I'm wondering if it might be because he's stress or maybe it's normal. I move the sand off the zoos right away but with the other live rock he throws it on I clean it off when I do the water changes. It almost seems like he's doing it in spite of me. I know the tank is small for him but hopefully in the next few months I'll be upgrading to a 120g or so. Thanks for any help on this.

-tara33-

he is probably stressed in that sized tank, but he is thrownig it around because he wants to make the surounding like he wants it, it is how all triggers act

-tara33-

i had a clown trigger that used to pick leather corals up(he was in our coral display) and throw them in one corner of the tank, i would come in in the morning and all the leather corals and attached rock were in a pile

he is not in there anymore lol

sepulatian

Originally Posted by -Tara33-
http:///forum/post/2840002
i had a clown trigger that used to pick leather corals up(he was in our coral display) and throw them in one corner of the tank, i would come in in the morning and all the leather corals and attached rock were in a pile

he is not in there anymore lol
And that is exactly why triggers shouldn't be kept in a reef tank.

gregarch99

Thanks for the quick responses. He just started doing it recently but that makes sense because I've moved a few rocks around not long ago so I guess he's re arranging the sand to his liking.

sjk2840

I have a small humu humu that does the same thing. I think he purposely waits till I clean the tank and then spits sand on my LR.

flower1459

Our huma does it too... non stop. Every few days we'll see a sand storm in the tank - when it finally clears up, half the sand on the back of the tank is pushed to the front, or the sand on the right is pushed to the left... or all over our live rock. If it's not a full sand storm, it's him just picking bunches up and spitting it everywhere. Fun to watch, but a mess to clean up.

gregarch99

Originally Posted by sjk2840
http:///forum/post/2840684
I have a small humu humu that does the same thing. I think he purposely waits till I clean the tank and then spits sand on my LR.
Yeah, I'm convinced he waits til I get it nice and clean and then does it in spite of me cleaning it off. It only annoys me that he puts it on the zoos and other corals I have in there. I rearranged the corals the other day and moved them up a bit higher so I think that'll make it harder on him but I swear he's messing with me lol. He's probably screaming "Get me a bigger tank you jackass"