hundreds on "baby serpent stars?"

Hello!
I have literally HUNDREDS of what look like little serpend stars in my reef tack. The biggest one is from arm tip to arm tip maybe the size of a dime. THe smaller ones are haybe a quarter inch. All sizes in between. They are grey in color.
Are they actually little serpent stars?? Are they baby or just a small species??
They are too small for my digi cam to take a good pic of.. but they litereally look like a very small, grey, serpent star.
Thanks,
Tyler

nm reef

I have a healthy population of mini-brittle stars in my refugium. No idea where they came from but I'm glad they are in there. A few sites sell them as part of packages...and they are reported to be very good scavengers and can be a positive addition to the micro infauna of a stable system.
I saw a link just yesterday with outstanding pics but I can't locate it right now.....if I can find it I'll try to post a pic of some different types.:thinking:

Originally posted by Kip4130
there are a lot of mini-stars out there... i wish i had some.. but i dont have a good source for them
<where is that wink smilie>

I would be happy to send you some... Where are you located?? How would I ship them??

nm reef

Let me see if these pics will work.....the mini-brittles I have are this type.....sometimes I see a lot of them other times they aren't as visible.

nm reef

Here is another species....all I've ever seen is the whitish colored type. If anybody has this type box 'em up and send 'em over!!!!!

Originally posted by NM reef
Let me see if these pics will work.....the mini-brittles I have are this type.....sometimes I see a lot of them other times they aren't as visible.

Those look like the ones I have, also. Although mine seem to not have the ridges in the legs. (or maybe too small to see with the

[hr]
eye)

csrobe02

NM Reef, I have one of those second ones that you posted. They get alot larger than the all white ones. The one I have came in as a hitchhiker on some ricordea rock that I got. Each arm is about 2.5-3 inches long.
Looks awesome, but worried that he is the reason I cant keep small critters like sexy shrimp and emerald crabs

buzz

Yup...that's what I have too (the first one). They came in as hitchhikers on LR and then took off from there.

I love having them in there as they really come out a lot at night, and it is fun to look into the tank and see them all walking around :)

mjsdas

i've got a bunch that came in on my aquacultured LR. There are maybe a couple dozen, several in each of 5 rocks. I hardly ever see them during the day but at night they come out, well not really come out because all i usually see are a bunch of legs sticking out of the rock. I do have one however that is bright BRIGHT red, thought i doubt i can get a decent pic of him, i'll give it a try later

mjsdas

success!!!
after moving a couple of rocks i was able to catch a quick pic before he went into a crevice