hunger strike seahorse

darth tang

I currently have H. Reidi. 2 of them in a 55.
I am thinking of setting up a 10 gallon naon for some dwarf seahorses, but the more I read, the less I have the desire to attempt this at the moment.

sleeper

I'm pretty certain the species is h. kuda.
I don't really see the current being reduced anytime soon. But they hang out RIGHT by the intake, so they must like it.
It's interesting, though: the female will eat the mysis just fine, but the male eats only live brine shrimp and nothing else. Any tips on effecting the switch?

darth tang

Try mixing frozen brine and mysis. The male may only have a taste for brine now and by mixing the two you might trick him. I would wait atleast a week before doing this to make sure his health is up after not feeding before.

itchy

Hey Sleeper, Seahorses need a species only tank. They are slow eaters and can not compete with most fish. anemones are a terrible idea simply because they can sting other fish and seahorses like to hitch to everything. If the male has hitched to the anemone and been stung this could be one reason he is not eating. If there are any other fish in there he very well could have become distraught if he has to fight or compete for any food. If you can move the other items out of the tank and decrease the flow you will have a better chance of getting him to eat. I do suggest soaking your food in a vitamin of some sort and garlic. The garlic may stimulate his appetite again. Seahorses are a lot of fun however they are very picky. Good Luck, but please move that anemone.

darth tang

Originally Posted by CELACANTHr
so darth what size tank do you keep em in im very interested in all things syngnathid.
I have my two in a 55 gallon. They live with a choco starfish, a bunch of snails, hermit crabs, and an Engineer Goby.
I use an HOB filter, the largest I could find and one powerhead. 50lbs. of live sand and about 25-30 lbs. of live rock. I had some live fern plants at first, but my crabs made short work of them. So I use fake plants for now.

sleeper

Ok, so it still really just comes down to tricking the male to eat frozen food.
While I *have* moved the anenome just to be sure, I don't think y'all are listening to me. He IS eating live brine. He IS active. He's not bullied, not scared, nothing. The ammonia's almost 0, the nitrites are almost 0, the nitrates are hella low. The temp is 78-79, and the PH is a stable 8.2.
He's just not eating frozen foods. I've even gone out and spent $10 on garlic extract, didn't work... :mad:
Is there a way to trick fish into eating frozen? I don't think this is a seahorse-specific issue, though of course I've been known to be wrong before.

darth tang

Seahorses are probably more difficult to get off live to frozen than most other fish. Just add some frozen when you add the live. They will eventually switch, it just may take a longtime. I am assuming these are wild caught.

sleeper

No way, I wouldn't purchase wild caught seahorse. They're tank bred. That's what's such a mystery. And the female eats like crazy...
I was thinking the male just got stressed but he goes after live brine like crazy...