Hurricane = Big Problems!!!

lovethesea

crusty.....I am little well a lot challenged when it comes to these things.
Is this something I can go to home depot and ask for? My
sister in law owns an RV so she can direct me to the cycle battery.
do I just look for a sump pmp battery back up. What about the modifications you stated?:rolleyes:

offshore80

I'm skeared really skeared... I live on the water in fact 105' from it. Tomorrow I'm taking the boat off the lift and putting it on the trailer. I just hope this thing slows down when it hits the colder water. At least I don't have fish in my 175 bf yet. Do I need to worry about the 90 lbs of LR in their if my house makes it through the storm?

D

daniel411

Best of luck and many prayers to all who live in the area where the storm is likely to hit! To he** with our tanks, lets just pray that this isn't a killer storm when it hits land.

D

daniel411

As for pulling your boat onto the trailer, get the trailer/boat as far away as you can. If its near the shoreline, it won't take much for it to be tossed.

cool clown

Originally posted by lovethesea
coolclown....are these things we can keep on hand and switch over quickly? (as long as the battery is charged?) Like I said, we live in stormy area. Especially the spring and the fish are always a concern. (us first of course) We have been out sometimes for 8-10 hours. Winter brings concern too...we get lots of ice sometimes.
Thanks for the info. This is nice to have, the East Coast power thing was a wake up call that this can happen at any moment.

Yes you just plug in the battery charger (get one with auto shut off when battery is charged) hook it to the battery, wire the inverter to the battery. Then when power goes out just unplug filters from wall and into the inverter. You might be able to run it this way with the power on (not sure you would have to do some reseach first).Hope this suggestion helps and good luck with everything.

lovethesea

Originally posted by Offshore80
I'm skeared really skeared... I live on the water in fact 105' from it. Tomorrow I'm taking the boat off the lift and putting it on the trailer. I just hope this thing slows down when it hits the colder water. At least I don't have fish in my 175 bf yet. Do I need to worry about the 90 lbs of LR in their if my house makes it through the storm?

If she seems like she is going to even wink at you get out!!
The storm surge alone can be a killer. At only 105' feet away the sea will most likely be pounding at your door. Get your boat out and go. Better safe than sorry, and believe me by Wednesday the roads will be packed. Like I said above...memorize your routes and beware of bridge and causeway closures. Once those are closed you are stuck where you are. Please trust your gut and get out. Even cat 1 can wipe you out if full on. Even if she drops down to trop depress, please be aware of winds and surges.
Be safe........

offshore80

I expect my dock to go... I just hope the house stays cause I have 4 fish tanks and I hate to think of them getting distroyed over this. But the boat will be hooked up and ready to roll if need be. My sister lives in Wilmington NC. And my parents in Myrtle Beach. So I'm sure one of us will get it. Man, what a drag.

Hey you guys. I hope you weather the storm out well and that your families and tanks fare well.
Offshore80: something that I have done in the past is to put the boat on the trailer where a tree cannot land on it(learned this one the hard way) and take off tires so you don't pop them then fill boat with water. Makes it awful tough to flip even if wind comes up strong.
And as others have stated leave early if it looks like it is going to hit you. I know its hard but after Opal I think I will leave for the next big one. It hit 20 miles to the west of here and we had 30+ foot boats picked up out of the water and set down 100 feet on the other side of a 4 lane highway. There was actually like 4 or 5 in one parking lot. And it picked up a house and dropped it out in the sound. These storms can be awesome. Once again I wish you all well.
Rich

aaronw78

I don't know if anyone has mention this yet, But you can get a DC to AC power converter that plugs into your car. I have one and have used it during power outages. You can get one at any auto parts store or even wal-mart. There is one draw back to using theese though. You have to remember to start your car every few hours and let it idle for a bit or it will drain your battery.

alex.m

has anyone looked at the top of this thread ---- click on the first hyperlink isn't that amasing??? we are exectly on its path!!!
And i think i am gonna stay with my tank... Sorry.. if its going to be destroyed .... I will at least try to do something to save it...
I love my little guys...and hey!!! What the hell

[hr]
might live to tell you all about it.............................Maybe:)

aaronw78

I'm glad I'm here and not there. Although I'll eat those words in the spring time when tornado season comes around :D

shanev

Alex.M
Im telling you, thats a REAL bad idea. If the authorities recommend evacuating you should. Theres no way in hell youll be able to do anything to help your tank if anything other than just the lights go out. I promise you if it hits you dead on this time and you make it through it, you will leave when any other comes close. (I know from experience and living withing 90 miles of the texas cost)
I wish everyone in the path the best of luck, please take the safe route, mother nature is stronger than all of us!

jp0379

Regarding your boat, when Camille, which was a Cat. 5, hit Mississippi, it picked up a TUGBOAT and threw it about 300 yards onto the shore. Just some food for thought.

lovethesea

ALEXM, please leave if they tell you to. You have no idea.....
how many trees are around you. They can be saturated by rains and the horrific winds will pluck them out light candles from a cake. I have seen it. Street signs become javolines (sp). As it stands now, you are right in the middle. How far in land are you.
Like I said in my replys above, even several miles inland can be dangerous.
Be safe...leave when they tell you.

To anyone even remotely thinking about staying behind to ride it out, please stop to consider the severity of damage that a few minutes of 85mph winds did in Memphis a couple of months ago, then multiply that with exponents... Add in the tidal surge, rains, and 24 hours of pure living hell, and then re-think your position. :eek:
Thankfully she's been downgraded again, but that could always change. No matter how you look at her, she was a cat-5 just a few days ago!