hurricane Ike, help!!

stdreb27

Originally Posted by guzman825
http:///forum/post/2752581
hurricane ike might come to corpus christi!! wut should i do about my pets?! and especialy my fish?!
I think it has mellowed out a bit. And pointed a bit mree to houston.
But if you want to be prepared for loong term power outages. What I'd do is make up as much water as you can for a water change. Do a water change a day out. Then just oxygenate your water by pouring a gallon of water from a couple feet from the surface and repeat several times like 5-10. Do this every few hours. Then hope your tank doesn't get too hot. I'd do water changes 10% water changes every few days depending on your bioload. And test readings.

salty blues

I feel for all you Texans on the coast. We just got loose of Gustav here in Louisiana. Nearly half the folks in Baton Rouge are still without power. Nationally, this fact is not known.
After it became evident that Gustav wasn't going to wipe out New Orleans again, the big media pulled out.

A

alexmir

im worried about the hurricane also, im in houston,south of houston, closer to the coast. I think i will do what you suggested stdreb, sounds like it would do alot of good!
thanks for the advice, i will def. premake some water.

stdreb27

Originally Posted by alexmir
http:///forum/post/2753055
im worried about the hurricane also, im in houston,south of houston, closer to the coast. I think i will do what you suggested stdreb, sounds like it would do alot of good!
thanks for the advice, i will def. premake some water.
Check out marsh there is a support thread on there. they aren't my ideas.

luca brasi

Get those battery powered air pumps to oxygenate your water, those things are great. We're getting reports (after Gustav) of them lasting up to 5 days. I bought some for 5 bucks that worked fine. If you can afford it, they have some that sense power failure and come on automatically.
If your staying, have a generator some fans. A window unit is on my next time list too.
Have as much water ready as you can store, you may need to do lots of WC's if anything dies.
Good luck,
Troy

luca brasi

If you are anywhere near the coast, get out!
Category 2 Ike is larger and more powerful than Katrina Posted by: JeffMasters, 11:32 AM EDT on September 11
Hurricane Ike's winds remain at Category 2 strength, but Ike is a freak storm with extreme destructive storm surge potential
. Ike's pressure fell rapidly last night to 944 mb, but the hurricane did not respond to the pressure change by increasing its maximum winds in the eyewall. Instead, Ike responded by increasing the velocity of its winds away from the eyewall, over a huge stretch of the Gulf of Mexico. Another very unusual feature of Ike is the fact that the surface winds are much slower than the winds being measured aloft by the Hurricane Hunters. Winds at the surface may only be at Category 1 strength, even though Ike has a central pressure characteristic of a Category 3 or 4 storm. This very unusual structure makes forecasting the future intensity of Ike nearly impossible. The possibilities range from a Category 1 storm at landfall--as predicted by the HWRF model--to a Category 4 storm at landfall, as predicted by the GFDL.
Ike is now larger than Katrina was, both in its radius of tropical storm force winds--275 miles--and in it radius of hurricane force winds--115 miles. For comparison, Katrina's tropical storm and hurricane force winds extended out 230 and 105 miles, respectively.
Ike's huge wind field has put an extraordinarily large volume of ocean water in motion. When this swirling column of water hits the shallow waters of the Continental Shelf, it will be be forced up into a large storm surge which will probably rival the massive storm surge of Hurricane Carla of 1961. Carla was a Category 4 hurricane with 145 mph winds at landfall, and drove a 10 foot or higher storm surge to a 180-mile stretch of Texas coast.
A maximum storm surge of 22 feet was recorded at Port Lavaca, Texas. Despite the fact that the center of Carla hit over 120 miles southwest of Houston, the hurricane drove a 15-foot storm surge into the bays along the south side of the city. I don't expect Ike will reach Category 4 strength, thus its maximum surge is not likely to reach the extreme values above 20 feet seen in Hurricane Carla. Like Carla, though, Ike will probably inundate a 180-mile stretch of Texas coast from Port O'Connor to just north of Galveston with a 10-15 foot storm surge. This will occur even if Ike is a Category 1 storm at landfall. The latest experimental storm surge forecast From NOAA's SLOSH model (Figure 1) shows a 10% chance that Ike's storm surge will exceed 15-21 feet at Galveston. The Galveston sea wall is 17 feet high, so may get overtopped.
The amount of water Ike has put in motion is about 50% greater than what Katrina did,
and thus we can expect Ike's storm surge damage will be similar to or greater than Katrina's. The way we can estimate this damage potential is to compute the total energy of Ike's surface winds (kinetic energy). To do this, we must look at how strong the winds are, and factor in the areal coverage of these winds. Thus, we compute the Integrated Kinetic Energy (IKE) by squaring the velocity of the wind and summing over all regions of the hurricane with tropical storm force winds or higher. This "Integrated Kinetic Energy" was recently proposed by Dr. Mark Powell of NOAA's Hurricane Research Division as a better measure of the destructive power of a hurricane's storm surge than the usual Category 1-5 Saffir-Simpson scale. For example, Hurricane Katrina hit Mississippi as a strong Category 3 hurricane, yet its storm surge was more characteristic of a Category 5 storm. Dr. Powell came up with a new scale to rate potential storm surge damage based on IKE (not to be confused with Hurricane Ike!) The new scale ranges from 1-6. Katrina and Wilma at their peaks both earned a 5.1 on this scale. At 9:30am EDT this morning, Ike earned a 5.6 on this scale, the highest kinetic energy of any Atlantic storm in the past 40 years.

cranberry

I lived in Corpus for 10 years.... I miss it SO much.... hurricanes and all. I wish I had of know some locals 3 years ago before I moved..... I felt liek the lone reefer.
I feel for you guys.... hurricane prep was never fun. But in many ways I miss it. Did you prepare "hurricane boxes"?

bluering09

I have an aunty in Galveston right now. I dont understand why they didnt want to leave.... I mean she has a new born baby. But I m praying and everything is going to be alright!
Who has been to walmart today? Had to wait for 30+minutes to buy a soda.

stdreb27

Originally Posted by bluering09
http:///forum/post/2754047
I have an aunty in Galveston right now. I dont understand why they didnt want to leave.... I mean she has a new born baby. But I m praying and everything is going to be alright!
Who has been to walmart today? Had to wait for 30+minutes to buy a soda.
at six in the morning it wasnt bad.

spiderwoman

Everybody in Galveston, please get out!!!! I saw the latest prognosis and it said anybody in a single and two story houses are going to be fighting for their lives and that they are expecting everything to be flooded deep.
Please be safe and God bless you!