Hurricane preperation

wocka

do i need to switch out water after the power goes out with 1 maroon clown about 2.5" if i dont feed him when the power goes?

tarhull87

I'm not sure the answer to your question... Chances are he should be alright.. Do you have corals and stuff in there as well, if so, maybe a generator would be good.
Stay Safe and Good Luck with Frances... I hope it doesn't make its way up to Hampton Roads, VA.

hiddenicon

just feed him the amount you KNOW he will eat, that may be just a flake or 2. If the power goes out for more than 3 days, then i'd feed him more and do a water change.

sergeant

wocka
Go over your LFS and get a battery operated air pump just in case the huracane decides to come over this way. Is about $14 depending where you get it from.
I wanted to ask you what LFS do you go to? .:notsure:
I am in Boca Raton and I only know of one store that sales salt water fish but the selection is not what I want most of the time.

zap800

remember if you use the battery operated air pump like the one that sells a walmart then do not place it on the bottom. place it near the top. the reasoning is that if you put it on the bottom where most people would do, then you will circulate and stir up the waste and toxins that are given off by the fish. normally you will want to do this but there is no filter to take out the waste and remove the toxins. so, with no power to run the filter, keep things down on the bottom and only use the air pump to airate the water. lastly unplug the any mechanical filters so when the power does come on it doesnt flush all the built up toxins from the filter. clean the filter out and do a water change. then plug it back in and test on the water. depending on the amount of time the power was off you might need another water change to get everything back in shape.

wocka

so put my airstone at the top of the water? also, i dont think my nitrates would build up since im not gonna find my only fish when the hurricane comes. i go to jewels from the sea, kookaburas, and this new fish store that opened i think its called sea scape designs, and marks ark

aqua39

Frances sounds like a bad one, and supposed to be the worst at Palm Beach. The battery powered pump is a great idea, it will ensure your fish survives, because you never know how long the power will be out. Good luck, I hope you and your fish pull through okay.

wocka

i hope my house doesnt blow away and i go with it, if worst comes to worst im wrapping my arms around the toilet and holding on!

K

kimc

I lost power for 4 days during hurricane charley. We were able to move water by using an inverter. we hooked it up to a car battery to get water flow until the battery went dead. After going through that I believe it is important to do water changes. I also read a post where ice was put in a ziplock bag and floated in the tank. We now have a generator so I shouldn't have too much of a problem this time. I live in Highlands County, above lake okeechobee and we are in for it real good... I have a 7gl mini bow at my office where I am going to run an inverter. Thank goodness I have no fish in that tank but I have to save the live rock. I have two batteries that I can switch back and forth. I have been dealing with hair algae since the first power outage. All I can say is be prepared.

ajwaters

Good luck all Floridians. I have a battery air pump if we lose electric. but thats about all.
again best of luck to all

dwarf lion

theres a place in coral springs, good ppl. , good stock, very knowledable....fish empire. wiles rd. west of university........hth good luck with this hurricane, im ready i hope!

lovethesea

Originally posted by wocka
i hope my house doesnt blow away and i go with it, if worst comes to worst im wrapping my arms around the toilet and holding on!

please tell me you are leaving. Aren't you guys under a mandatory evac?

kiharaconn

Can you tell me how long would the power have to be off until you start to worry. And I read somewhere that you should run the battery powered airstone off and on. How long on/off. We need to stock up on batteries and I just wanted an idea of how many to buy. We have a 55 gal with fish, lr, ls and corals.
thanks

bigbobsull

I need help too, but asap before power goes out. I went to the fish store yesterday and they were closed, but anyway I don't have a battery power filter!! I have a 30 gal fresh water with 4 fish, and a 12 gallon salt with live rock and 3 damsels. Should I stir the water to try to create oxygen (this sounds really stupid). Pls any1 with an idea would be great. Thx.

sergeant

bigbobsull
You can do that as long as you dont disturb the bottom of the tank. Make sure it is a fish tank use only container.
dwarf lion
Thanks for the info. I will check it out after the hurricane.
Wocka
Can you please give me the addresses of those stores?
Everyone good luck with Frances.

wocka

im not sure what the addresses are, i got their cards tho, here are the numbers : Jewels from the sea, (561) 432-6845. and seascape designs (561) 784-1999

J

jackie dh

You can get the little battery operated air pumps at walmart. They will have them in sporting goods for mino buckets, they have a small water pump that ou can run from a lawn mower battery too. The pet area may have the battery run air pumps too. Good luck!