Hurry??? Help!

mjhulik

My starfish is dieing, I think??? I just checked the water and everything reads perfect. The starfish is brown but I don't know the name of it, it looks like any normal starfish. I don't know what is going on. can anyone help? Any suggestions? I don't have a QT tank. I'm in a jam. Its getting smaller and the rest of the tank is looking great! Please Help! Anyone
:help:

marineman

how long have you had him, was he ever eating, any outward signs of illness besides reduced size????????? it really helps alot to know the type of starfish you have as their needs and care are different among the various starfish species. a 12g tank is quite small to house a starfish which most need to be in large tanks to do well long term.

mjhulik

Its probably most like the bahama star, but I didn't really ask when I bought it. It has been at least 3 months. What should I do?

marineman

have you been able to find a food it will accept? if it does not eat soon it may waste away. have you tried placing small peices of raw shrimp underneath its body? this may be what you need to try!!

niles8267

I feed all of my starfish, small pieces of fish, they really enjoy it. Usually when I am having trouble with them it is the Nitrates though. You might double check. Best of luck Jennifer

niles8267

How long has he been down? As for food try the largest piece (reasonable) of meat you have. Frozen people food is ok sometimes. It looks like your food is to small for him he probably will not eat if you move him, try placing the food right beside him.

mjhulik

It has only started going down in the live sand for about 3 minutes or so, the starfish is not that big, its probably only 1 inch from tip to tip.

greatfullreefer

Sounds like you have a sand shifter star, they will eat all the beneficial lifeforms in the sand. Three months would just about deplete all the food source not a good recommendation for a reef tank.

mjhulik

I don't understand why it wouldn't be a good reef tank, I thought that is what they needed to live in at least thats what SWF says. I'm just a bit confused. Thanks for the posts though.

mjhulik

I don't understand why it wouldn't be a good reef tank, I thought that is what they needed to live in at least thats what SWF says. I'm just a bit confused. Thanks for the posts though.