hurt puffer fish

rngpw1028

My porcupine puffer got sucked up into one of my powerheads the other day and now the skin around the area is dying and falling off. what can i do to prevent infection? He ate today so that is a good sign but the last couple of days i have had to coax him into eating with ghost shrimp.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Unless you have a QT, there is not much you can do directly. Offer several small quality meals a day and feed with food soaked in fresh garlic, at least until he starts to heal up. Take a look at the garlic info in the FAQ thread. Don't used packaged garlic, it needs to be fresh.
Try target feeding with a turkey baster. You may also want to try some high protein home made foods (recipe also in the FAQ thread).

rngpw1028

Originally Posted by Beth
Unless you have a QT, there is not much you can do directly. Offer several small quality meals a day and feed with food soaked in fresh garlic, at least until he starts to heal up. Take a look at the garlic info in the FAQ thread. Don't used packaged garlic, it needs to be fresh.
Try target feeding with a turkey baster. You may also want to try some high protein home made foods (recipe also in the FAQ thread).
I have Kent Marine Garlic Extreme, will that work? As far as a QT he is the only fish in a 55 gallon tank. He is about 3 inches and he will be moving into a 300 gallon when I get my floor reinforced. I do have a 30 gallon QT in which i use to treat my reef fish and also the puffer when I had bought him do to the fact that he had ick, should I put him back or since he is alone can I just leave him in the tank that he is in?

sepulatian

Originally Posted by rngpw1028
I have Kent Marine Garlic Extreme, will that work? As far as a QT he is the only fish in a 55 gallon tank. He is about 3 inches and he will be moving into a 300 gallon when I get my floor reinforced. I do have a 30 gallon QT in which i use to treat my reef fish and also the puffer when I had bought him do to the fact that he had ick, should I put him back or since he is alone can I just leave him in the tank that he is in?
He can stay in the display if he is alone. Garlic Extreme will not work, it has to be fresh. Please check out Beth's FAQ. It explains WHY it has to be fresh along with how to make food for your fish. I sure do hope that you have put a cover on your powerhead intake so that this does not happen again.