Hybrid Achilles/Goldrim Tang...SWEET!

kohala

Aloha!
New to the boards and love to share pics. One of the coolest fish i have seen off the big island of Hawaii. Pic 1 plus pic 2 equals pic 3. Enjoy!

equals

Killer!

WOW i love those fish they're so aweomse. since i'm a new member of the Tang police, i think you need to give them to me for inspection.
PLEASE

kohala

Originally Posted by Sharkboy13
interesting, but how do u kno theyre a hybrid? jw
hey jw!
Well, since you asked. Hawaii fish books do state that they do occasionally hybrid, but rare. I also have a friend at the waikiki aquarium that did a thesis on hybriding fish and researched this tang cross. He had conclusive findings that they do cross together. Pretty cool color combo if you ask me. I've been diving these waters for three years and this guy is the first one i have come across.
cheers,
m

sharkboy13

uhhh...hi, jw means just wondering, my intials r jm actually. anyyyyyyyyyhow thats very interesting that they can cross breed, i suppose that its possible to crossbreed w/in genus, i mean, u see wolf/dog crosses

goingpoor

marin center have these for sale 199.00
Achilles Gold Rim Hybrid Tang
Rarely available to the trade, this stunning and rare hybrid is chocolate brown, almost black, with orange on the tail and yellow on the soft dorsal fin. This is one of the more demanding members of the Acanthurus clan. In the wild this species is territorial and is usually found in areas with lots of surge. Provide this active fish with plenty of swimming room, as well one or two hiding places. Like any tangs in this group, it may be aggressive toward surgeonfish tankmates, but it usually shy at least initially. This fish is an herbivore, provide with a varied diet that includes frozen and flake foods for herbivores as well as dried algae sheets.
Typically no more than a few specimens per year. Highly unpredictable availability. SELLS IN AN INSTANT, ACT FAST IF AVAILABLE!

kohala

"In the wild this species is territorial and is usually found in areas with lots of surge"
I'd have to agree. I can find this fish in exactly the same part of reef section on a local dive site. About 15-30 feet of depth along a vertical laval coral wall with lava tubes throughout creating plenty of surge. Have seen the hybrid six times now. I'm having issues if i should catch it or not!?!?!?

puffer9006

Originally Posted by Kohala
I'm having issues if i should catch it or not!?!?!?
just woundering how you would caught the fish, are they easy to get when you are out on the reef

fish addict

If you can give it a good home and with ample room to swim and you really want it, I would catch it if you can! But please leave it in the ocean it you don't have a tank that is large enough for it!

kohala

Originally Posted by fish addict
If you can give it a good home and with ample room to swim and you really want it, I would catch it if you can! But please leave it in the ocean it you don't have a tank that is large enough for it!
My thought was to donate it to the Waikiki aquarium for others to view and enjoy but its close to a "no collect zone" so I''m going to just observe it and show other divers during trips.