Hybrid coral?

rael

I bought some simple yellow polyps today. I noticed two of the polyps had an ******** like dragon eyed zoas. All the others were simple yellow colors but these two had the standard yellow polyp tentacles yet had an orange center with a black middle of the center. Do corals like this, for the sake of a better term, cross pollinate?

snakeblitz33

occasionally zoas will creep onto a different rock while in captivity or in the wild - some zoas will overgrow others and vice versa. If you like them, you could try to frag one of them off and use some super glue gel on a frag plug to glue it on there and see if you can get the one that you like to grow more. If you leave it the way it is, it is highly likely that nature will favor a more common polyp color.

btldreef

Zoas and polyps actually can "cross pollinate" for lack of a better word/explanation. It's how a lot of these designer zoas have come about.

snakeblitz33

Designer Zoas...

All I see is ..... red button, blue button, green button with yellow frills, etc. etc. Same with SPS corals... I see their shapes and colors and vaguely know what genus they are.
Never understood why someone would pay $50 for a polyp. If there is something I am missing, by all means let me know!

btldreef

I used to feel that way and with certain corals I still do, but some pieces just look amazing. The colorations are beautiful, especially under my LEDs