hydno placement question.

jauringer

i rearanged my tank last night to make room for a few acros. I am concerned with the placement of my hydnophora, so i thought I would run it by you guys. I have attached a scetch. i have a single 150 watt Geismann(sp) HQI MH in the center of the tank. the bottom right portion of the hydno is shaded. what effects will this have on my little guy?

naturelover

do a search on COTW. if not then try with medium flow. almost every corals will have trouble in our tanks with base since you cannot duplicate sunrise and fall (earth rotation anything you like to call) like in nature.

gatorcsm

I have some corals that are partially shaded and don't have any problems. The color isn't as vivid, and growth isn't as prolific, but it does show life in that area.. It will just grow much better where it is having its needs fulfilled.

spsfreak100

Hydnophora is naturally found in low-light areas. It's even common to see it thriving under flourecent lighting. As others have stated, having it positioned in a low-light area shouldn't be any problem.
Take Care,
Graham

nm reef

Mine has done well in pretty much the same situation. It will tend to grow best in moderate light and a moderate current. The shaded area will not grow as well...but it should be ok over all.:cool:

jauringer

thanks for the replys. i always appreciate your help. I have finally posted a 6 pak so you will be able to see the hydno in its new position

wangotango

Nothing like a good thread resurrection in time for Easter.
What type of lighting is it under?
Mine is right under T5 with moderate flow and is doing pretty well.
-Justin

topfins-mj

interesting, I just moved my hydno to a new location, and I noticed that the side that used to be shaded, has a more neon coloration, but the skin grew faster than the skeleton. Weird!! Some of the skin is sort of hanging and ready to fall off. But overall, it is doing well. I supplement my one Metal Halide with actinics.

dcathey

I have an 80 gal with 2x150 hqi 10000k with 2 t-5 ho for actinic support (They are the 4' model) I have been keeping the hydno directly under the mh and it just never seemed super happy.