Hydor FLO work with maxi-jet powerhead?

hmello

I have a 90g tank w/ a 15g sump/refugium. Right now, it is FOWLR w/ 90lbs of LR. I'm planning on adding some zoos and mushrooms shortly. I have a mag drive 950 pump that returns through 2 outputs, and I recently added 2 maxi-jet 1200's. The flow seems decent now, I'm just having trouble with a couple of spots that seem to get missed by the flow. No matter how I reposition the jets, there always seems to be some spot that gets missed. I saw this Hydor FLO thing on a tank at my LFS and it seemed to work great at moving the flow all around. Of course they don't sell the things. I did find them online, but I couldn't figure out for sure if they would fit the maxi-jet 1200's. Has anyone used these before with a maxi-jet? Here are the details of the product and a picture...
* Rotating deflector turns existing powerhead into a wavemaker
* Attach to pump output for beneficial water movement and oxygenation
* Inexpensive way to create vital, wave-like water movement in reef aquariums
Compact, rotating deflector turns your existing powerhead into a wavemaker. Simply attach to a powerhead to generate beneficial water movement. Geared unit rotates 360° to produce a wave-like effect without added energy costs – it's powered by water pressure. Improves gas exchange/oxygenation and simulates natural ocean conditions in reef aquariums with corals and invertebrates. Recommended flow rate between 80 to 310 gph. Included adapters fit most outlets. 2-1/4" dia x 3".

bkvreef

Originally Posted by hmello
I have a 90g tank w/ a 15g sump/refugium. Right now, it is FOWLR w/ 90lbs of LR. I'm planning on adding some zoos and mushrooms shortly. I have a mag drive 950 pump that returns through 2 outputs, and I recently added 2 maxi-jet 1200's. The flow seems decent now, I'm just having trouble with a couple of spots that seem to get missed by the flow. No matter how I reposition the jets, there always seems to be some spot that gets missed. I saw this Hydor FLO thing on a tank at my LFS and it seemed to work great at moving the flow all around. Of course they don't sell the things. I did find them online, but I couldn't figure out for sure if they would fit the maxi-jet 1200's. Has anyone used these before with a maxi-jet? Here are the details of the product and a picture...
* Rotating deflector turns existing powerhead into a wavemaker
* Attach to pump output for beneficial water movement and oxygenation
* Inexpensive way to create vital, wave-like water movement in reef aquariums
Compact, rotating deflector turns your existing powerhead into a wavemaker. Simply attach to a powerhead to generate beneficial water movement. Geared unit rotates 360° to produce a wave-like effect without added energy costs – it's powered by water pressure. Improves gas exchange/oxygenation and simulates natural ocean conditions in reef aquariums with corals and invertebrates. Recommended flow rate between 80 to 310 gph. Included adapters fit most outlets. 2-1/4" dia x 3".
I have 2 maxi jet 1200 witht the rotating deflector.
I very much like them I just have to figure out a way to get the lower levels of the aqurium because if it gets too low it'll blow your sand all over.

joshradio

I had 3 on pumps that cycled on timers and I found it actually cut down my jets flow... I would say to possibly add another power head. There are also magnets you can buy so you can change the placement of your powerhead without even sticking your hands in the water! GOODLUCK!!

briandg

I have one on a Maxijet, it will work fine, but it does cut down the flow. I used to have two and removed one from one of my powerheads so that flow was increased. It does do a good job of allowing flow to all parts of my tank however. It's up to you, but I would possibly recommend adding one to one powerhead and leaving the others without one.

hmello

Thanks for the feedback! I think I'll buy Hydro FLO and see how the flow is, and then decide whether or not to put one on the other Maxijet.

bkvreef

Originally Posted by hmello
Thanks for the feedback! I think I'll buy Hydro FLO and see how the flow is, and then decide whether or not to put one on the other Maxijet.
Like I said I have two maxijet 1200 both were on the hydro flo, after reading this I took one off and it made a definite difference. I think I'm going to like this beter. Good luck