Hydrometer

windsurfman

I recently started a new saltwater tank. I let the tank sycle for about three weeks; made sure the chemistry was right then put in two clowns. One of the clows gat very sick and died in about 4 days the other is fine. I took a water sample to the local pet store and they told me my Salinity/Specific gravity was way off, but accourding to my Hydrometer its fine (yes i did tap hydrometer to make sure there was no bubbles in it). The employee at the store informed me that a waxy matterial on the hand of the Hydrometer may have effected the reading; and that I should allow the hydrometer to soak in salt water to elliminat the wax. Is there any way I can determine wethere or not my hydrometer gives accurate reading?

reefkprz

you can check its accuracy with a refractometer, you LFS might have one they use ask them. Or you can save your self a lot of trouble in the future and just buy one they are about $40.00 and worth every penny.

yerboy

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
you can check its accuracy with a refractometer, you LFS might have one they use ask them. Or you can save your self a lot of trouble in the future and just buy one they are about $40.00 and worth every penny.

Worth every penny. My hydrometer said my tank was at 1.025 but my refractometer showed it was really 1.030
IMO thats a deadly difference

nicetry

Most plastic swing arm hydrometers are not very accurate. One of the best pieces of equipment you can invest in is a refractometer, or a lab grade glass hydrometer calibrated for reef temperatures. The differences in measurement can be large enough as to cause problems in your system, so go with accuracy.

ophiura

Hmmm, I've never seen water dissolve wax. And to my knowledge they do not add something like that to a hydrometer. I think that is a sketchy answer. A hydrometer should be rinsed in freshwater, and soaked now and then in white vinegar, to remove calcium buildup.
But I also suggest a refractometer
which is by far the most accurate. ALso definitely make it a habit of having them test water before buying fish (however, I only trust them so much....). Out of interest, how high did they say it was? How high did you think it was? And did they not refund your money because of this?

windsurfman

I will definitly buy a refractometer now. and will have the LPS check my water befor buying any more fish.
My Hydrometer displayed an ideal reading (about 1.021-1.024) but the employee at the pet store devolopt a reading of about 1.014-1.016 ( I know REALY far off). I argued for a refund but the store had a policy of "no-refund on marine fish and inverts".
But I still feal realy bad for the dead clown. I balenced the salitity and the other clown appears to be doing fine.
Thanks for all your help.

ophiura

First, yes, that specific gravity is low, but it is not fatally low per se. If you didn't acclimate, it might be quite a drop...but I don't believe that caused the trouble. Slowly lowering the specific gravity to even lower levels is a common treatment for disease.
Even at 1.021, your specific gravity is too low for invertebrates. I don't recommend adding snails, shrimp, crabs, etc unless your specific gravity is at 1.024 minimum. For most inverts, I would recommend 1.025-1.026.
I am wary of stores that don't have warranty periods on their livestock. I would shop around to other stores.

xdave

Take some water home from the lfs, write the SG they say it is on the bag, float the bag of water in you tank until it's at temp, test it with your hydrometer and mark the spot on it. This mark will be what you lfs waters SG is. Swing arm types aren't that accurately calibrated, but they are 100% consistent. When mixxing new water heat it to tank temp before checking the Sg.

billyg

HELLO I JUST BOUGHT ONE HERE & IF ITS MY STUPITY OR WHAT I CAN,T READ THIS OR ADJUST IT.I PLACE THE DROPS ON THE PRIZIM LOOK UP TO THE LIGHT & SEE WHERE THE BLUE MEETS THE WHITE & ADJUT THE TOP KNOB TO WHAT I DON,T KNOW.I HAVE 3 HYDOMETERS & THEY ALL READ DIFFERENT TAKE A SAMPLE TO 2 LFS & THOSE ARE ALSO DIFFERENT,I BOUGHT THIS REFRACTOMETER THINKING THIS WOULD BE SIMPLE TO USE FOR A DUMMY LIKE ME & I STILL CAN,T GET IT RIGHT,SO IF YOU COULD REPLY & TELL ME WHAT IM DOING WRONG & WE,LL ALL LAUGH LATER WHEN I FIGURE IT OUT. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP
:help:

yerboy

put normal ro/di water on it and look thru, adjust it to 1.00
now put your tank water on it and see what it says.
i hope thats right that how i calibrated mine

shogun323

Originally Posted by windsurfman
I will definitly buy a refractometer now. and will have the LPS check my water befor buying any more fish.
I would love to have my LPS test my salinity. Perhaps I can train my trumpet coral to do it. If not, maybe my torch. :thinking:
Sorry I couldnt resist.

hot883

Originally Posted by BILLYG
HELLO I JUST BOUGHT ONE HERE & IF ITS MY STUPITY OR WHAT I CAN,T READ THIS OR ADJUST IT.I PLACE THE DROPS ON THE PRIZIM LOOK UP TO THE LIGHT & SEE WHERE THE BLUE MEETS THE WHITE & ADJUT THE TOP KNOB TO WHAT I DON,T KNOW.I HAVE 3 HYDOMETERS & THEY ALL READ DIFFERENT TAKE A SAMPLE TO 2 LFS & THOSE ARE ALSO DIFFERENT,I BOUGHT THIS REFRACTOMETER THINKING THIS WOULD BE SIMPLE TO USE FOR A DUMMY LIKE ME & I STILL CAN,T GET IT RIGHT,SO IF YOU COULD REPLY & TELL ME WHAT IM DOING WRONG & WE,LL ALL LAUGH LATER WHEN I FIGURE IT OUT. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP
:help:
First BillyG, uncap your letters. Now you need to calibrate the refractometer. You do that with plain r/o water. Place a drop of the r/o water on the prizm and turn the knob until the line reads zero.

hot883

Originally Posted by shogun323
I would love to have my LPS test my salinity. Perhaps I can train my trumpet coral to do it. If not, maybe my torch. :thinking:
Sorry I couldnt resist.
Ummm, local pet store Wade

billyg

Thanks So Much Yerboy Just Tested It Several Times & Now I Know How To Use It.i Just Got A New Redsea Hydrometer That You Submerse In The Tank & Thats Reading 18 Just As The Refractomete My 2 Other Hydrometers Are Reading Close To That Also ,16-17,thanks Again.

yerboy

Thanks So Much Yerboy Just Tested It Several Times & Now I Know How To Use It.i Just Got A New Redsea Hydrometer That You Submerse In The Tank & Thats Reading 18 Just As The Refractomete My 2 Other Hydrometers Are Reading Close To That Also ,16-17,thanks Again.

No problem im glad its working for you now..

billyg

aww so sorry for the caps I didn,t mean to offend anyone. & whats the big deal of taking your water to your lfs to have it tested? amI the only idiot that does this or everybody else is normal?? :mad:

hot883

aww so sorry for the caps I didn,t mean to offend anyone. & whats the big deal of taking your water to your lfs to have it tested? amI the only idiot that does this or everybody else is normal?? :mad:
No, you did not offend anyone, just hard to read. I use to take my samples all the time to the store.

billyg

the lfs that I use is not a chain store,he & I go back 35 yrs,I buy everything from him,my 150 with overflows for a song brand new,you,ll ask what song? lets just say an all glass for $325.00 delivered & plumbed, He comes over @ least once a week for nothing if I do have a question or a problem for nothing. Ialso get great discounts on my fish & as far back as I could remember not one of the has ever been bad althou I just lost a flame due to my YT & Naso that scared her,I had her for a week but within the week I had to do a 30 gal waterchange & switch out some of my coral. I hope Im not using my caps too much to offend anybody.When I do go up to the store I bring a sample in just to so how close I am to what they get. So if Im doing anything wrong by doing this please God strike me dead & ban me from this site.