hypo and medications

i love fish

when a fish is in hypo can u use medications like pimafix/melafix or deworming medications such as Jungle antiparasite medicated food?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
You can use medications on quarantine tanks that are well cycled, however, I don't see much value in using the meds you listed. If your fish have ich, then hyposalinity is the best treatment choice. There are instructions in the FAQ Thread, top of the Disease Forum.

buhlersdayoff

When you hypo your display tank, do you take the live rock out or leave it in? I have ich and have removed all of my fish and inverts and have them in a QT. I am ready to start hypo but am unsure about the live rock.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
You must remove all live rock, and inverts. Hyposalinity conditions will kill off the "live" rock.

i love fish

Originally Posted by Beth
http:///forum/post/2756282
You can use medications on quarantine tanks that are well cycled, however, I don't see much value in using the meds you listed. If your fish have ich, then hyposalinity is the best treatment choice. There are instructions in the FAQ Thread, top of the Disease Forum.
thanks beth 4 ur help, but lets say i'm treating a fish 4 ich in hypo, but the fish also develops symptoms of a bacterial infection at the same time, can I use the pimafix/melafix while the fish is in hypo, or how do u go about treating a bacterial infection and parasites at the same time?
thnx

sepulatian

Originally Posted by i love fish
http:///forum/post/2759129
thanks beth 4 ur help, but lets say i'm treating a fish 4 ich in hypo, but the fish also develops symptoms of a bacterial infection at the same time, can I use the pimafix/melafix while the fish is in hypo, or how do u go about treating a bacterial infection and parasites at the same time?
thnx
Maracyn 2 for FW fish would be the treatment of choice in a QT. You cannot use that in the display. Instead of posting 40 questions, why don't you just tell us what all is happening in one thread. One thing leads to another. Medications cannot be combined. It would be much better if all that is going on was in the same post.

buhlersdayoff

I am performing a hypo on my display tank. My fish are in a QT. I have removed my live rock from the display tank and placed them in large storage containers with an air stone and pump. How long should I keep the live rock out? Is it ok in the tubs for 4-8 weeks? Do I need to do water changes? Can I put some inverts in the tubs with them? What do I need to do to the rock before I put it back in the display tank?

al mc

Originally Posted by BUHLERSDAYOFF
http:///forum/post/2760133
I am performing a hypo on my display tank. My fish are in a QT. I have removed my live rock from the display tank and placed them in large storage containers with an air stone and pump. How long should I keep the live rock out? Is it ok in the tubs for 4-8 weeks? Do I need to do water changes? Can I put some inverts in the tubs with them? What do I need to do to the rock before I put it back in the display tank?
Live rock in tubs: 6 weeks (some say 4) with a pump(s)/heater
Water changes: Test your parameters, change water if nitrogen cycle
problems
Inverts in with rock; snails, crabs, sea stars if no or insufficient lighting
If you are talking about corals/anenomes: appropriate
lighting
Putting rock back in DT: No special precautions/concerns