hypo .. can i drop salinity one night

jakob4001

if you are talking about treating w/ hyposalinity in your display tank, you may lose all/most of your inverts; LR life might die off as well

katherine

"First of all, the remedy WILL NOT work in reef systems or invert tanks as it incorporates lowering the salinity of the entire system to 1.015. Inverts and corals cannot withstand this treatment very well. Monitor the lowering closely so as to not reduce it too fast. Usually over a period of several hours is fine. When done, begin slow reintroduction of saltwater back into the tank. Do this slowly as to not stress the fish. Do 20 percent or so water changes until the proper salinity range, usually 1.019 to 1.025. A system/equipment cleaning also helps to eliminate any possible stray cysts that may be hiding".
Read Saltaquarium.about.com
Saltwater Ich Diagnosis, Treatment and Prevention
Hope this helps :)

birdy

I am certainly not an expert but my understanding is that for hyposalinity treatment you need to drop your salinity slowly to 1.009 over a period of 48 hours, I do not know what dropping it in a few hours would do but I would think it would stress the fish out a lot, 1.010 will kill the Ich but 1.009 is still safe for fish but gives you a little buffer for evaporation, I have heard it recommended to leave QT tank at 1.009 for a month after all signs of Ich are gone, then slowly raise it back. It is correct that this must be done in a QT tank or a tank without live rock, sand and inverts. If you do a search on Hyposalinity you will find many threads on it, Find one that tells you how to do it from one of the sharks.

desert fish

If you go with hypo be prepared to keep the fish in QT at least a month or they will be reinfected when you put them back. You might want to consider Kick-ich or No-Ich. Both products work reasonably well,bio-degrade in 5 days and are safe for inverts and the biofilter. Both have worked well for me - you must follow directions exactly.

john f

No offense,
but none of you guys really knew the answer.
You just speculated or repeated the current recommendations.
BTW............I don't know the answer either :)
Good warnings about the inverts though.
John

john f

This is from an article by Dr. Dickerson in Sea Scope:
"We have used low salinity to treat fish with Cryptocaryon here in our lab. We remove half the water in the aquarium and replace it over a 1 hour period with dechlorinated fresh water. The resulting salinity (approximately 15 ppt or specific gravity of 1.011) is maintained for 7 to 10 days. This treatment should not be used for invertebrates or especially sensitive fish, but most marine fish will tolerate it well.
"
John

john f

Well,
That's sort of right. Tomonts exposed to 14ppt for 48 hours will not produce any active tomites.
So if the fish have been kept at 14ppt for 3 weeks, what is the point in removing them from the tank before the salinity is increased?
John

john f

"If you do run short, you want to make sure you do water changes(another clinical way to try and break the ich lifecycle) and remove the fish from the hyposaline tank, rather than bringing the hyposaline tank back to saline levels. "
I guess I didn't read that part right. I see what you meant now.
You were not just sorta right........you were very right.
John