Hypo in display tank

rane

Ok I have been lowering the salinity in my display now for a few weeks, right now its at 1.13 using an ATC refractometer my starfish,cleaner and CD shrimp are still alive and so is my sally light foot, my corals ( the little I have are doing ok) not too happy but my question is out of my 155gl tank, how much water an I going to have to take out to get to the 1.09 mark? the only fish taht shows signs right now of ich is my Powder Blue tang, and if I leave my tank in HYPO for the 4 weeks will it all be gone from my tank?

D

daniel411

*Bumping* I'm curious too, how will a hypo, affect all your live rock, corals, etc? Would it better to go with a quarantine tank? And no fish in display for awhile?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
You will have to take out a lot of water. You need to remove your inverts and coral, as they will not tolerate hyposalinity.

rane

Well let me tell you guys whats been going on with my display in hypo. I have the salt level at 1.09 measured with a refractometer. my corals all died, my snails all died, my Coral banded shrimp died, my cleaner shrimp went next, found them both being eaten by my sally light foot, my starfish both died as well, its been 2 weeks and I still see two of the tangs scratch once in a while, another question I have is wouldnt this be a good time to add new fish to my tank since its in hypo and if any of the fish come sick they can be cured in the tank? I plan to leave the display in hypo for about 8 weeks, I measure the salinity 2 times a day and top off everyday with non salted RO/DI water. funny thing is that all my green crabs and sally are alive, and so are my hermits.

rane

Thanks guys..but I really want this ick out of my system, will three weeks gaurantee that is is out? I have a 20gl qt tank setup but could not catch any of the tangs to put them in and my 20gl is too small for them anyway so I decided to do the display, I didnt get the ick by adding new fish I got it by adding frags from a display that had ick and I accidentaly poured water from the bags into my display. so you think it will be fine after 3 weeks? I dont want to put new fish in there after they have been in QT and fine out its still in my display, I will freak out!