Hypo new fish?

cj7eagle

I just bought 5 blue green chromis and have them in a 10 gallon tank with 10 gallons i took from my display during a water change. They are fine, eating and everything. I am wondering if it is worth the trouble to do hypo on them right away. Or should i only do hypo if i start to see signs of ick. if so how long should i wait to see ick?

sepulatian

On chromis I would not. On fish such as Tangs and Butterflies, I would say yes. Keep them in qt for at LEAST three weeks.

cj7eagle

thanks. So if after 3 weeks everything seems fine, and i dont see any ick, i should be alright to put them in my DT?

sepulatian

Originally Posted by cj7eagle
thanks. So if after 3 weeks everything seems fine, and i dont see any ick, i should be alright to put them in my DT?
Yes. Chromis will show a disease within that time. Don't rush though.

al mc

Sep has much more experience than I but having had a bad experience with ICH about 2 years ago I hypo all new fish (except madarins as they are reported to be highly ICH resistant and they are finicky eaters...hypo kills the live copepods that they eat). When done properly (cycled tank) it is relatively easy and only keeps them in QT for about 7-10 days longer than a normal 3 week observation process. Start in normal salinity for a few days to make sure they are eating well. Two days to get to hypo, 3 weeks in hypo, and 5-6 days to come out of hypo. Just my opinion.

sepulatian

There are several members here that hypo all new fish right away. There is nothing at all wrong with that as long as the qt is fully cycled. I do not. It is a matter of choice. Certain fish, such as any tang or butterfly, I would certainly hypo right away. I am a patient person and just observe. It is entirely up to you if you want to hypo your new fish or not.

cj7eagle

Thanks for the input guys/gals. I will probably just wait it out to see if they show any signs for three weeks.