Hypo Not working!

salty james

Hi Terry / Beth,
Have had my tank in hypo now for 3 weeks. No sign of improvement for my puffer!. He still has cloudy eyes and
is getting skinny..
Any ideas?
I have attached a pic.
HELP!

salty james

Also the white spot appeared on morning ?
Was not sure how he got it.
Looks like he plowed into a branch or something?
Help ?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Please give us some fish symptoms. Hypo is really for just ich. What were/is your fish's symptoms?

salty james

Hi Beth,
Thank you for responding.. I love this fish and would hate for him to die.
Hmm. Not eating, slow breathing, doing a flip move on the CC. Almost like scratching, lost alot of weight, hidding not moving alot, curling up in ball
Thats about it...
Any ideas.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
You say he has cloudy eyes? Both or just one? Is that white spot on the fish? Is it protruding or looks like its attached, or is it a discoloration of the skin. Is it like a growth, or just a faded spot on skin?
What are you feeding the fish and when is the last time you did a water change? How big is that fish, and what else is in the tank?
Did someone tell you to do hypo? What's the history? How long have you had it? What does its teeth look like? What are you doing to keep the teeth shortened?

salty james

HI BETH,
Both eyes are cloudy. The white spot is indented almost like a cig burn. I have fake coral trees that he munches on, and I think that maybe he ran into one of them. He only eats ghost shrimp... I have tried krill / squid / clam / silver sides / prime reef. Cant ween him off ghost shrimp.. Tried starving him for 2 weeks!. Fish is about 5" he is with a 2" picasso / 2" niger / 2" blueline. Originally did hypo for ich, and visible signs are gone now. Waiting for full weeks though. Had puffer for almost 4mos. Teeth are not too long. he does chew on the fake coral.
HI TERRY

Will go out any buy some Furacyn by Aquatronics, and follow your dosage instructions.
I will do a large water change (40%) with 1.009 water when I get home. Yeah I use the deep six swing arm type (I know have not gotten the $$ together to get one of those handy dandy refractometers) I use the Sea Buffer to keep the PH up.
The only thing is that I have a 10g Q tank, and I am pretty positive that he is going to be pissed in a tank that size. Can I treat the main tank with the triggers ?
Sound like a plan ?
Thank you both for the 'expert' advise, and keep your fingers crossed for me :) Will keep you guys updated.
Salty James

salty james

Just wanted to provide an update.
Puffer passed 10/19/02.. :( tried to save him no luck...
Thank you for the help,
Salty James

beth

Administrator
Staff member
That is too bad. How are the rest of the fish doing? You should probably not add any new fish for a few weeks to see if any problems develop with other fish.