Hypo or Copper?

lion_crazz

I like hypo more.
Copper is too stressful on too many fish (tangs, butterflies, angels, puffers, etc.)
The only good thing about copper is that it kills ich faster than hyposalinity does (if the copper does not stress the fish in the proces).

twindadx2

i have a copperband with ich i was told to freshwater dip .. how often and for how long is the ? iwastold 3-5 min and all the way up to 10 min help

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Copper is used for a variety of parasites and, at one point, it was not just a choice, but "the choice" because there wasn't much else. For ich, however, hyposalinity is equally effective, and less risky to fish.

arsen_36

how do you do a fresh water dip? do you just fill something with RO water and dip the fish in or is it more complex than this? and are fresh water dips ok to treat for ich?
i just thought we were on the same subject :notsure:

lion_crazz

Freshwater dips are NOT recommended to treat ich for several reasons. The only time I would do one would be if it was an extreme emergency (such as the ich infesting the gills of the fish).
A much better way to treat ich is hypo-salinity, as detailed by Beth in the FAQ thread above. Hypo-salinity is a MUCH less stressful and MUCH more effective way of treating ich in saltwater animals.