hypo question for tangs

jonny

alrighty my qt tank is a 46g bowfront. my main tanks are a 55, 75, and 210g. in the 210g i added a powder blue. he was good until recently he acquired some ick. so now i have maybe a dilema. in my qt i have a sailfin and a achilles tang. will the addition of a powder in there be very bad or will it work for a hypo clinic. i could possibly make the 55 the hypo tank and do it that way but does anyone know what might happen in 46bow. the sailfin is about 4in, and the achilles and powder are 3.
please let me know soon for i need to get this going prolly tonight.
thanx

al mc

Jonny.....IMHO you can certainly use the 46g for the tangs since it will be short term and they are small. Problem: you did not mention anything else about the 210. If you have other fish in there they will have to go through hypo also if you really wish to get rid of the ICH. The 210 should go fishless
for about 6 weeks to completely break the life cycle of the ICH. Beth has a good thread in the archives about hypo treatment.....good luck

sepulatian

I agree, all of the fish in the 210 have been exposed and they all need to be treated. What is your stock list? You may not want to use the same tank that the sailfin and achilles are in if you have a lot of stock to hypo. Those two will add to the bioload quite a bit.

jonny

the powder is the fish. so it will be the three of them.
thanx
guys
i think i'm going to end up setting up my 75 as the hypo tank anyways so it will be a little bit better for them.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by jonny
the powder is the fish. so it will be the three of them.
thanx
guys
i think i'm going to end up setting up my 75 as the hypo tank anyways so it will be a little bit better for them.
The powder was the only fish in the 210?

jonny

yes it was. now its out with the sailfin. i took the achilles out of the qt and back to the lfs before i put the powder in. decided it wasn't worth risking another $60 fish. the sailfin i got for really cheap so hopefully all will go well. its the sailfin and the powder in the 46g bow. started the treatment earlier today hopefully in 6 weeks i will have good news to tell.

jonny

and yes i didn't mention anything about my stocklist in the the 210g for i did not have one. only the powder blue. so how i posted was correct. you guys seem to not think its possible or something.

sepulatian

and yes i didn't mention anything about my stocklist in the the 210g for i did not have one. only the powder blue. so how i posted was correct. you guys seem to not think its possible or something.
No, I am very sorry if we came off that way. I personaly have 4 tanks and two fish. I have a 5th one getting set up and a fuge I am working on which makes 6. I have 5 pkgs of frozen foods in my freezer and 6 jars of freeze dried foods on my shelf, not to mention all of their vitamines, all for two fish. I did not think you were not telling the truth. I was just not sure if you caught how important it is to treat all fish, not just those showing illness. We get ignored when we ask certain questions a lot. Just making sure you understood. The sailfin and the tang will be just fine in the 46 bow.

al mc

Jonny..Also sorry if you took it the wrong way. Just trying to make sure that any advice I give is as accurate as possible. Many times people post questions but only give you some, not all ,info on their tanks. Also, good job on not 'overstocking'......I wish I was as that good about keeping the tank populations manageable. I would be able to do fewer/less water changes!

jonny

over the last couple days basically with the powder blue i have noticed more raised "bumps" rather than the actual white spot. they are there just harder to see. however yesturday they became the traditional white spot. now today they are very few on him compared to what there was yesturday. so hopefully that means the ich is dieing. and coming out or something.
also would adding melafix be bad at this stage. he has scratched an area towards his back and it looks as if it has gotten worse. just wondering if melafix will interfere with hypo or hypo make it ineffective.
let me know and thanx

sepulatian

over the last couple days basically with the powder blue i have noticed more raised "bumps" rather than the actual white spot. they are there just harder to see. however yesturday they became the traditional white spot. now today they are very few on him compared to what there was yesturday. so hopefully that means the ich is dieing. and coming out or something.
also would adding melafix be bad at this stage. he has scratched an area towards his back and it looks as if it has gotten worse. just wondering if melafix will interfere with hypo or hypo make it ineffective.
let me know and thanx
Melafix would not have an effect on the hypo, but I would not add it unless the spot looks infected. Dose his food with fresh garlic and vitamines to boost his immune system. He will be able to heal just fine on his own.

jonny

well just came to check on him and he is now covered with it. so hopefully he can continue fighting a little while longer. he still is swimming pretty well so hopefully he will make it.

sepulatian

well just came to check on him and he is now covered with it. so hopefully he can continue fighting a little while longer. he still is swimming pretty well so hopefully he will make it.
How long has he been in hypo? Keep us posted.

jonny

well its been i think 3 or 4 days now. also today he has not a single dot so i don't know if he fights some off and then it attacks three fold or what but today so far he hasn't had anything on him, as well the bumps have all subsided for the most part. so who knows hopefully tomorrow i won't wake up and him be covered in ick.
thanx
cole

sepulatian

well its been i think 3 or 4 days now. also today he has not a single dot so i don't know if he fights some off and then it attacks three fold or what but today so far he hasn't had anything on him, as well the bumps have all subsided for the most part. so who knows hopefully tomorrow i won't wake up and him be covered in ick.
thanx
cole
You have just been through the part of hypo where most of the ich in the tank panic and try to host. Congratulations, it gets easier fom here.

jonny

hopefully for hes been the most active fish i have ever had so far in the 2 yrs of salt. anyways so far still no spots on him. hopefully tomorrow morning all will fare well.
thanx sep for your words and such

sepulatian

hopefully for hes been the most active fish i have ever had so far in the 2 yrs of salt. anyways so far still no spots on him. hopefully tomorrow morning all will fare well.
thanx sep for your words and such
You are more than welcome. Remember to monitor your SG every day and do not let it get above 1.009. Be sure to check your ph, it does have a tendency to drop in hypo. If you have to add a buffer to your RO water, let it mix for 24hrs and then check the water to be certain the ph isn't too high before you add it to the tank. If your source water has a ph of under 8.0, buffer some ahead of time. You will need to do top offs.

jonny

checked in on him this morning and all is well. hes seems to doing very well. added in some more water to top off and will check at lunchtime.
thanx

jonny

alrighty everything is going good for him so i will let you know in a couple of days how hes doing.

jonny

alrighty my powder blue got covered in ick again. this time its even worse then before. the sailfin really hasn't gotten anything. i did a water change and going to do another here in a couple of hours when i get back. the water is at 1.09 anything else i should be doing?
thanx in advance