Hypo Treatment & Protein Skimmer?

sprieto

A few questions:
#1) Will Hypo treatment affect a Protein Skimmer?
#2) Should one run a Protein Skimmer during Hypo treatment?
#3) How long until the lack of a operational Protein Skimmer affect the enviorment?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
You can keep the protein skimmer running, but it won't skimm. However, the added circulation will be fine. I'm assuming you are planning to hypo in tank?

sprieto

I have been at Hypo for 2 weeks now.
All signs of ich were gone after 2 days, but I will keep it at Hypo for 4 weeks total.
The skimmer stopped collecting the the cup after a few days.
Will it hurt anything since the skimmer is not actually collecting?
So you do recommend leaving the skimmer on?
Before you ask the questions:
It is a 60g, w/power filter (penguin 280 w/bio wheel) and a XP3 canister filter.
The skimmer is a Berlin aitlift (for a 90g, yes it is not the best skimmer, but it's counter part the 60g unit, same thing just shorter, runs great on my 30g tank).
People recommended getting a better skimmer, but if this is normal, and it will work again once salinity is normal, then I think it is a good skimmer for the size tank.
Thank you for your help, always appriciated.............
PS, so can you have a skimmer on a fresh water tank?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
There's no problem with leaving the skimmer on. I'd leave it.
You can begin bringing your water back to normal saliniy after 3 weeks of no visible sign of ich. What are you using to measure salinity?

sprieto

Refractometer (per your and others here recommendation).
You might not remember, but I have bugged you before.
You helped save my fish!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you so much for everything!
I was worried about the skimmer, but I feel better now, thank you again!

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Glad to help and don't worry about the skimmer. Skimmers would need to be turned off for medication treatments because it will extract the meds, but hypo is fine.