hypo treatment.

jay0705

When using hypo I've read 2 diff methods. One says you don't have to acclimate the fish to the lower salinty due to it being a lower salt level but when re adding fish to tank u do have to acclimate. The 2 says to slowly lower the salinty to hypo levels. So my question which is rt?

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay0705 http:///t/396042/hypo-treatment#post_3527801
When using hypo I've read 2 diff methods. One says you don't have to acclimate the fish to the lower salinty due to it being a lower salt level but when re adding fish to tank u do have to acclimate. The 2 says to slowly lower the salinty to hypo levels. So my question which is rt?
I would recommend the slowly lowering the salinity.
There was a member on here a while ago that was advocating just throwing a fish into a QT at hypo levels and her fish lived. That does not mean its the right way. Think about it. You are going from 1.021-1.026 down to 1.009. That is a BIG drop in salinity. We acclimate new arrivals into our tanks for up to 3 hours to get it used to the different salinity, pH, and Temp. And the change in salinity is just minor compared to hypo levels.
Again, they could live, but usually they are going into hypo for a reason, so why would you want to stress the fish out anymore then you have to.
When I do hypo, I take the salinity from 1.026 down to 1.009 over three days. When I bring it back up I take a day or two longer (4-5 days total).

jay0705

Ah ok so put the fish in at my tank norm 1.022 then slowly lower the qt to 1.009. Now is that the magic number? I see 1.010 mentioned alot

sweatervest13

Jay,
What are you putting into QT? What is your QT setup like? What are you treating for, Ich??
I have always used 1.009 on a refractometer. I have read that any higher and you can risk not killing off the ich.
Beth would be the expert though. I have never heard her saying anything other than 1.009.

jay0705

Ah ok. Its a royal gramma. Idk how it got ich it was one of the first fish added and is the only fish w it. I haven't added fish in 2 months so my qt is down. My plan is to fill it w tank water and use a filter cartridge from my hob. To help w a spike. Its a 10 gal qt. I am debating hypo or copper but hypo seems more popular. I've never had an ich issue so my knowledge is lacking

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay0705 http:///t/396042/hypo-treatment#post_3527810
Ah ok. Its a royal gramma. Idk how it got ich it was one of the first fish added and is the only fish w it. I haven't added fish in 2 months so my qt is down. My plan is to fill it w tank water and use a filter cartridge from my hob. To help w a spike. Its a 10 gal qt. I am debating hypo or copper but hypo seems more popular. I've never had an ich issue so my knowledge is lacking
Are there any other fish in the DT?? Those would need to go into the QT as well to get hypo treatment. And you need to leave the DT fishless (fallow) for 6 weeks to rid it of ich.
Make sure you test the QT for ammonia everyday to see if you get a spike. You might need to soft cycle the QT, make sure you have some Prime on had to treat the tank if you have any ammonia reading above 0.

jay0705

Iam going to keep a cartridge from hob in the qt. Iam thinking it should help minimize a cycle spike. I hope lol

I would also recommend the slowly lowering the salinity and you can find the whole process explained in a well manner with the help of Beth's link. It is easy to follow.

jay0705

Yea I just looked at it. That's my plan. Start at my tank salinity and lower it from there

sweatervest13

Jay, It looks like you have a good plan!!! I hope all the fish do well in your new QT setup. How about a pic or two once you have it up and running?

jay0705

Ok my plan was to never get ich!!!!! Iam so careful. But yes I will get sum pics up. I should have the salinity down tonite to where I need it. I think it was my shrimp I was acclimating them and there bag slipped into the tank!! Live and learn at least it's a cureable condition