Hyposalinity for my reef tank to eliminate Ick?

wetpetman

I've been reading some the other posts about killing Ick by hyposalinity. Will this work in my reef tank? Will it effect my corals (both sps and softies), etc?
Here's my 3 questions...
1. What is the optimum salinity level that I should reach?
2. How much time should I take to get there?
3. How long should I leave it there?
Thanks

beth

Administrator
Staff member
No, hyposalinity can not be used with inverts, snails are in that category. The low salinity will also kill off inverts living in your LR as well as the coraline algae on your rock.
The only effective treatments for ich are hyposalinity and copper. You can use niether of these threatments in a reef tank.

richard rendos

Are the claims of using garlic elixer in foods true? I have heard that soaking fish food in garlic elixer and then feeding can help get rid of ich. If that is true, the garlic wouldn't harm the inverts in that small an amount.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Richard, are you having an ich problem in your reef?
Garlic can work for a mild case of ich where a fish has a few specs. It is better as a preventative, then as a cure, however. Either case, it is by no means sure-proof. Consider it the same as taking supplements to help with a cold. Yeah, it helps, but it doesn't necessary prevent or get rid of the cold.
If you soak garlic in fish food, it will be fine in a reef. Just don't put garlic directly into the tank.