Hyposalinity - lowering salinity down to 11ppt in 48 hrs

reefjunkiee

When new acquisitions arrive at the quarantine facility, the main acclimation concerns are pH, temperature, and detoxifying the free ammonia. The acclimation process brings the salinity of the newly arrived fish down gradually although this is not the determining factor in introduction of the new acusitions. On several occasions we have received large numbers of fish at the same time all being introduced into an empty system. In these cases, the tank in which the new fish are being introduced to is acclimated to the newly arrived animals. The pH and temperature are adjusted down according to the arriving transport boxes. Salinity in the new tank is at 11ppt (1.008 SG) and the new arrivals are typically between 30 and 33ppt (1.023-1.027 SG). After adjusting pH, temperature, and detoxification of the ammonia, the animals are introduced into the tank. This is an immediate drop of 19 to 22ppt. These animals have shown no signs of shock or stress outside of what would be considered normal through shipping and handling.
this is done at the Oklahoma Aquarium, There is no need to acclimate a lowered salinity, only a high salinity, PH and Temp. There is also several other articles stating these findings. The reason i bring this up is, some animals could indeed be saved with an immediate Hypo state rather than giving this parasite 48 more hrs to reinfect with the all the stress being done to the tank dropping the salinity. I have acclimated over 8hrs from fish in bag at 35ppt to 11ppt on two tangs with no problems what so ever.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issu...2004/short.htm

florida joe

very interesting I would just like to see an extensive list of the fish the Oklahoma Aquarium quarantine in this manner and not just the ones that they show in the article

cranberry

Joe, I agree with this and have been saying it forever..... I usually get rotten fruit and vegetables thrown at me from the peanut gallery.

reefjunkiee

Hyposalinity Pros:
1. Less stressful and longer lasting than freshwater dipping.
2. More effective than freshwater dipping outside the aquaria, since OST kills the free swimming parasites as they emerge from dormant cysts/spores within the aquaria/system as well as those attached to the fish (i.e., the fish are not reinfected once they are returned from the bath to the main tank).
3. No special acclimation procedures required for newcomers.

4. Suitable for all marine teleost (bony) fishes (Red Sea, Indian Ocean, Indo-Pacific, Florida & Caribbean, Australia).
5. Minimizes secondary bacterial and fungal infections.
6. Eliminates outbreaks of Cryptocaryon irritans (White Spot Disease/Marine Ick).
7. Eliminates turbellarians (Black Spot/Clownfish Disease).
8. Eliminates most ectoparasites, including trematodes, flukes, and leeches.
9. Prevents the spread of protozoal parasites in general.
10. Reduces the risk of dehydration when the integrity of the fish' slime coat is impaired.
11. Helps weakened fish conserve energy and husband their strength by lowering osmotic pressure and making it easier for them to osmoregulate.
12. Reduces dependency on chemical treatments such as copper and formalin.
13. Eliminates the risk of overdoses.
14. Proven to improve the health of marine teleost fishes kept in crowded containment systems with a heavy biological load.
15. Increases dissolved oxygen levels in heavily stocked systems.
16. Can be used safely with protein, skimmers, ozone, UV, and other treatments.
17. Provides a noninvasive method of treatment that can safely be used to treat the main tank in fish only systems.
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume...linity/OST.htm
a little more on it here. and like i said i acclimated over 8 hrs which is very fast compared to 48 hrs with a blue and kole tang with no problems what so ever.

cranberry

I didn't know Pete wrote something on hypo. Not suprising. The seahorse community has been using it forever for EVERYTHING. There was a time when we were fighting to keep these guys alive because our WCs were the last we would see for awhile when the CITES came down and red listed them. Hypo would slow some stuff down while we figured out what to do. We never acclimated them downward.....