Hyposalinty- my tank has been at 1.009 for 6 days & fish still has visible ich

af330i

I have 3 fish with ich in my 150 gallon Fish only tank.
The one I am concerned about is the bird wrasse which has had the white spots on his fins for about 3 weeks.
The only other signs of ich is some scratching against the objects in the tank. No heavy breathing no loss of appetite, in other words he seems fine ...
How long until these white spots are gone when doing the hypo salinity ... it's been 6 days already at the 1.009 and prior to that I had the tank for about 5 days at 1.013. I understand it is a 30 day cycle but I thought the outer signs of ich was only for 1 week
Also I raised the temp from 80.2 to 82.3 ...
Is it possible it is something other than ich ?
thanks ...

pacino

good question, from what i have been told here, you are doing everything right, i am just starting my hypo for my three sick fish also. my first time doing "hypo", but i feel you as far as wanting it to just hurry up and leave my fish alone! its supposed to take some time but i will be watching this thread for more responses, cause i am wondering the same..

aw2

6 days really isnt enough time to be seeing a visible change in your fish. The recommended amount of time, to run hypo, is anywhere from 4 - 8 weeks. That will not only take care of the parasites that are currently on your fish but will also take care of any parasites, larva and eggs that are in the rock, sand, decor, etc.

pacino

one thing i am wondering, and "af330i" i am not sure if you tried this, but freshwater dips, are they recommended as well as the hypo treatment. i did one on monday, should more be done??

af330i

Thanks for the replies ...
I've done the freshwater dips in the past and it seemed to work out really well fdor a few of my fish though I will tell you the first time I did it I felt like I was putting my fish in poisen and killing him off.
Now that I have done it a number of times I don't even think twice about it ...

pacino

all my fish ( porc. puffer, racoon butterfly, & sailfin tang ) did really well, i got the impression that they could have lasted longer then the 3min. dip that was recommended to me. do you recommend doing more dips while i am "hypo"ing??

aw2

Freshwater dips are only a temp. solution and they stress the fish out more than having ich.

pacino

i will take that into consideration "AW2", thanks again. oh and where can i see some pics of your tanks?
and just to touch on something i forgot, hey "af330i" i hear you on the worrying side, i was telling someone at work how these fish are like my kids, i care for them, feed them , and worry for them, you know? and i have two "real" children also,so damn! now that i think about it, i got alot of responsiblity. HA!

beth

Administrator
Staff member
AW2, awesome tank. Now if I can talk you into adding one of those shots as an avatar! LOL A nice closeup of the eel, and you'll be rocking at SWF. :happyfish

beth

Administrator
Staff member
What are you using to measure salinity/sp gravity? How is the pH doing?