I am an IDIOT...

smarls

OK, well maybe not an idiot, but definately not the smartest...
I bought what I thought was a nice colony of Clove Polyps, but once I got home, I realized that they have a calcium-like structure underneath the polyps. (at the LFS the polyps were open and so dense that I could not see the understructure!)Looks like a bunch of small, hard tubes, similar in coloration to a dark coraline.
Anyways, after some research on here I think I have identified it as a Tubipora (organ-pipe coral). It is a beautiful piece, and in my defense, when open it is similar in shape etc. to a clove polyp! It really is lovely, and I would rather not return it as long as it is able to thrive in my tank.
My question - my tank is not set-up for SPS corals, rather it is a very simple 55 gallon set-up with 260 watts PC (half actinic 03's, and half 10,000k). All water paramters are fine, and I have no problems keeping multiple colonies of zoanthids and LPS. My limited research says that this is not a SPS coral, but is rather some weird cross, similar in many ways to LPS for the calcium and light requirements. Does anyone have any experience with the Tubipora? Does the Tubipora have the same calcium / light requirements as an SPS, or is it indeed closer to a LPS? Any suggestions as to specific care requirements that this coral may require that my other corals do not?
Any help gratefully appreciated!
Stewart

W

wrassefan

I believe that a pipe organ is an LPS not a SPS. If you put it high enough under the pc lights with decent flow, it will do okay.

smarls

Wrasse,
Thanks for the input.
I have it in a medium flow area just now, about ahlf way up int the tank. I will try moving it a little higher after it is a little more settled in.
Stewart

reefraff

I have some clove polyps that have that same structure you are talking about but it is more like three balls with holes in them. Mine haven't done all that great so I don't know what the secret is to making them do well.

W

wrassefan

Might help to make sure that the calcium and ph/alk is stable. 420-450 sg and ph 8.0-8.2/alk 2.5-3meq.

smarls

Wrasse,
Thanks. My parameters all within the acceptable ranges (except I have a slight phosphate problem which I am remedying) and the rest of my corals are doing great.
I just feel stupid for buying something that I thought was something else, and so I was trying to make sure I can keep it. Based on what you have said, it sounds like it should be ok, so I will just keep my eye on it.
Reefraff, thanks also for the input, although i am not sure what the oops is for! :)
Stewart