I am *DONE* with Firefish!

jpc763

I left Friday morning for a camping trip, returning Sunday around 1pm. Friday morning I checked the tank and everybody was in good shape. I have 2 false percs, 1 sixline, 1 royal gramma, 1 lyretail anthias, 1 dwarf hawkfish and 2 purple firefish.
I had noticed a couple of weeks ago a slight injury on one of the firefish that had since healed. I am not sure who caused the injury, but I suspect either the hawkfish or the royal gramma (I have seen both chase the firefish).
Well I returned Sunday to find that I now only have one firefish.
There is no trace of the other. It did not jump as I carefully examined the area around the tank. It is gone.
This is the 4th firefish I have lost. One died because I did not cover the intake to my powerhead. The other 3 have just vanished without a trace!

I give up!

scopus tang

Wow ~ tried to quote this thing three times and couldn't get it to go. Sorry for your lose man. I know they can be a pain (buddy has lost like 5 or 6 of them). I've had good luck with my one (knock on wood), buts its only been a little while at this point. Somewhere I read that if they are not a mated pair they will harrass each other as well. Beautiful fish ~ feel for you.

fishygurl

Originally Posted by Scopus Tang
http:///forum/post/2659855
Wow ~ tried to quote this thing three times and couldn't get it to go. Sorry for your lose man. I know they can be a pain (buddy has lost like 5 or 6 of them). I've had good luck with my one (knock on wood), buts its only been a little while at this point. Somewhere I read that if they are not a mated pair they will harrass each other as well. Beautiful fish ~ feel for you.
i too had good luck with the one purple firefish i got from here, i go him at about 4 inches in length and had him for around 2 years (ever since my tank has been up)
but now he just died a little bit ago...
im not sure if i want to get another, because i really dont like the look of the smaller ones... >.>

S

saltman23

I've had nothing but problems with them and finally just gave up.

sepulatian

Somewhere I read that if they are not a mated pair they will harrass each other as well.
That is correct. One will be picked on if they are not a female/male pair. The one that is picked on can hide in the rock until it dies.
I am sorry for your loss.

matt850

My firefish likes to hide in the live rock. When I say in the live rock I mean he goes into a hole in the side of one boulder and goes in enough to not be seen. He stays there all night every night and through much of most days. Hope for the best, maybe he just has a good hiding place.

ifirefight

FOUND!! One dead firefish... after 2 weeks we finally found the missing firefish...apparently he escaped through a SMALL opening in the 24 aquapod (I had the glass top on and only a small area is open towards the rear of the tank) We went in my daughters room today to clean it...and there was the fish,underneath her desk that is at least 6 feet away from the tank.
She swears she has no clue how it got there. I mean the fish would have had to jump out of an opening no larger than 1 inch by 5 inches wide...not got caught in the overflow...or maybe made its way to the overflow...jumped out again..miraculously kept from falling behind the dresser (where the tank is located) then flopped across a 11 year old girls room..that at the time looked like a bomb went off in there..and ended up carpet surfing in the corner behind the desk. Sounds like the magic luggie from Seinfeld.

tr1gger

Originally Posted by ifirefight
http:///forum/post/2664331
FOUND!! One dead firefish... after 2 weeks we finally found the missing firefish...apparently he escaped through a SMALL opening in the 24 aquapod (I had the glass top on and only a small area is open towards the rear of the tank) We went in my daughters room today to clean it...and there was the fish,underneath her desk that is at least 6 feet away from the tank.
She swears she has no clue how it got there. I mean the fish would have had to jump out of an opening no larger than 1 inch by 5 inches wide...not got caught in the overflow...or maybe made its way to the overflow...jumped out again..miraculously kept from falling behind the dresser (where the tank is located) then flopped across a 11 year old girls room..that at the time looked like a bomb went off in there..and ended up carpet surfing in the corner behind the desk. Sounds like the magic luggie from Seinfeld.

Wow, just wow... I was reading that and shaking my head the whole way, glad there is some closure for your story and dont give up on the firefish. My pair love my small FO tank and get along so well.

bgbdwlf2500

if youve ever wathced how fast they move (and im sure you have) youd understand how it got that far..it could have flopped on the carpet but thats a long way to flop. i lost a clown and something similar to a firefish (its longer). setup a new tank and found both behind the old tank... im sure i was too late to save either one as they jumped out while i was at work but was still mad. new tank has no gaps on the lids

bowlergt

Hey jpc764 sorry to highjack but had a question for you. I also have a 55g and 2 clowns, yellow clown goby, firefish, lawnmower and a cross' damsel. I just added my lyretail anthias, how does your do?? Does he pick on anyone or cause any problems?

sepulatian

My diamond goby did the same thing. He escaped through TINY opening in the back. Nothing was harassing nor chasing him at all. He just decided to jump one day. Unfortunately the cats found him. I found him a few days later