I am going to start making a new sump

I want to make a sump for a new tank im going to start up. Prolly a 120 to 150. What size tank should i use for the sump?? Also what kind of caulk is safe for aquarium use???

N

nemo_66

by caulk, i assume you mean silicone, which is what you should use if you build it out of glass. any silicone is fine, just make sure its pure silicone, and doesnt have any mold preventors or anything in it.
i would suggest you building the sump out of acrylic, since i would assume it would be easier. if you do choose acrylic, then you should use some sort of acrylic cement or bond.
im not quite sure, but hopefully someone with more experience with building tanks will chime in for ya.

Well im going to use a already made tank and just silicone in some dividers to make different chambers. The inlet will be for live rock and then another chamber for my skimmer ect and the another for a refuge and then finally one for the return pump.

N

nemo_66

ok, so then your most likely going to use silicone, so like i said above, i would just use plain silicone, and avoid the ones that say mold resistant, etc.
or you could go to your lfs and buy a tube from there, but that would be a lot pricier...

robertmathern

I made my old sump and will stat to build my new one this weekend. You are asking between a 125 or 150. I would try to go with a 55 gal sump. Depending on if you have room. The bigger the better. Is you tank reef readr (pre drilled) or are you using an syphon overflow. As far as what you listed it sounds right on the money. I recomand going to home depot and buying aquarium selicone (it is by the spray paint you will see glue and other selicone). Just make sure you make the baffles so they dont have a water fall effect or you will suck air into your return pump causing micro bubbles. Just make the out side baffle to the return to overflow the wall. Then the inside baffle to go under the baffle are you should be good to go.
Good luck keep us posted. Tank some pics and put them here we all like to see this.