I am making a custom tank.....gimme your opinion

L

lion fish lover

Hello,
I am going to make my own custom tank. It is going to be 72" long x 48" high x 48"deep. for a total of 96 cubic feet. I am going to use 3/4 " CYRO Acrylate GP for all 4 sides. And yes I have the mathmatical equations for calcutaing the necessary thickness. If anyone needs them...let me know. Anyway...
I had some questions about the adhesive, and the joint system I am going to make. I will be making a toungue and groove route in the edges to have maximum strength. I want to know what any of you other self tankers out there think about this?
I plan on using either a cyanoacrylate adhesive or a Tyrite Urethane Adhesive, but don't know which would be better?
I have also heard that Weldon #4 w/ Weldon #16 on top from AIM Plastics in NJ is good...someone have some advice?
After the tank is finished I am going to make a wooden frame for it. I was going to use oak and have it span the corner edges of the tank for added support. I know that I will lose some of my viewing privledges, but the thought of it being strong is important, if anyone has a better idea for corner supports throughout the tank please let me know.
I hope that you wonderful people can give me some good or better ideas than what I have.
Thanks ,
Benjamin M. Dean bdean@indy.rr.com :confused:

ironreef

I would like to know the formula for strength. But fwiw I would make the top thicker much thicker and do a eurobrace = not needing a middle brace. i've seen a few tanks made custom by aquarium manufactures. If you want some tips on good diy I can send you to a good site he may help yyou???

L

lion fish lover

Yes please tell me some more about the eurobrace, and I would love some contact information. THe formula for required thickness of the acrylic is:
Required thickness - T(in)= the square root of Bq (H)squared divided by a
Where H is the aquarium height
where q is the maximum water pressure (lbs/in)= (0.0361 lbs water /in 3) H(inches)
where a is the maximum permissable stress for acrylite GP in an aquarium(CYRO manufactures it)=(750 psi)
where B is the coefficient from L/H relationship as follows
L/H0.250.500.751.001.502.003.004.00
B0.0370.1200.2120.3210.5230.6770.8660.940
Note: For L/H ratios not shown, use the B value for the next higher ratio.
Example:
L = 36 in.
H = 15 in.
L/H = 2.4 therefore: b = 0.866 (taken from the chart for L/H = 3.0)
q = (0.0361 lbs/in3) x ( 15 in) = 0.542 lbs/in2
T (in) = T (in) =

garyfla

hi
Why would you want to make a tank
48 inches deep? How are you going to reach to the bottom? And you're sure going to need some "SUPER" lights to get to the bottom
Wouldn't milling groves into the material
weaken it at that point?It would no longer be the required thickness Are you sure you've though this through?
Gary

L

lion fish lover

Placing a toungue and groove system on the corners of the tank is the most sensible idea there is. It provides a interlocking connection with the acrylic, and does not reduce the thickness of the tank. This on top of having some real good chemical adhesives should make for a terrific bond.
I think I have thought it through, if anyone can give me proof as to why this is a bad idea, let me know.
And as for the 4' deep factor, they make 3 fingered mechanical grabbers for just this reason...if all else fails, I have some good swimming goggles..hehehe :p

broomer5

Hey Lion fish lover !!
Make sure to buy an extra set of 3 fingered mechanical grabbers, just in case you drop your 3 fingered mechanical grabber.
Just kidding - :D
DO IT MAN !!! Make that tank - you sound like you got it well under control !!!
Brian ;)

ironreef

you really don't need to groove the acylic. If you use acylic solvent it chemically adhearse.Sure it may work cuz you are making a groove but you will but it up so the thickness at the joint will be the same. It probally will be stronger. if you have the tools it should hurt but I've seen 1" thick tanks that don't use that. The solvent is strong.

L

lion fish lover

Thanks Ironreef,
That is all I needed to know. I knew that the chemical solvent adhesives go to the molecular level, but I am used to making things that will NEVER break. So if you say that it will be ok, then why not? Can't hurt anything in making sure that my tank is strong. It is the first one I will have ever built.
And I know a couple of guys who have huge tanks like the one I have described and that is what they use is these 3 fingered mechanical grabber gizmos....they are real sturdy and very light. But as long as I set the basics and the foundation of the reef up properly, I should rarely need to use the right?
:D

dsmattice

I'm curious about your question regarding the type of adhesive. Did anyone ever say which was the best to use? I'd like to know as well.

ratbattey

I only see one problem with your plan...4 sides. Better add a fifth for the bottom or it will have a little trouble holding water.