I am stuck need some design help.

neowind

I have came to a point to where I am not sure where to go from here. Since I joined this board my tank has transformed to something I really love and enjoy. So now I am going to ask you guys for some help. Maybe give me some suggestions on what is missing or what I could do to improve my tank and take it to the next step. For some reason when I look at it it seems as if its missing something. Not quite sure what it is but can you guys through me out some suggestions. I know there is some awsome tanks out there so if anyone could help me out I would greatly appreciate it. Here is my tank info.
54g ALL-Glass Aquarium
175w MH 20k XM
35 Pounds of LR
60 Pounds of LS
675 GPH water flow
1 Yellow Tang
1 Bi-Color Blennie

footbag

No fish in you fish tank? LOL...I hate it when people say that!

Very cool looking setup. I was considering a corner tank, but that was befor I discovered the XM 20K's. I really love their color. What kind of suggestions do you want? I am a fan of zoos. I have 5 types in my tank, soon to be 15.

aftrhrs

Do you have a sump/refugium? I can't really tell from the pictures but it seems your tank could use some calcium to promote coralline algae growth. You could always start adding corals or look around for a deal and get a bigger tank. I am getting close to running out of ideas on my 75 and have decided that a bigger tank is the way to go. 300 to 450 gallons, mounted in a wall should keep me busy for years. Now, if I can just get the funding for it...... Nice tank BTW.

obtusewit

Looks like it is going to be a nice tank, but I would move the hardware, i.e. heater and PHs, to the back corner. Bouncing the PH currents off the front glass can make for some diverse currents, and the front of the pile can be a place for those guys who like thier breeze more towards the gentle cycle.
Something people miss when the buy corals are vertical elements like purple blade gorgonians or tree sponges. Most LFS don't carry them too often, other than the yellow or red sea whips, although I dont know why. These can sit away from the central pile on a little rock of their own and add "fill" without really taking up much space. And they are easy.
Good luck on your new venture, it looks like you are well on your way

neowind

Thank you for the replies so far. Any suggestions on specific corals that would fill in the tank would be awsome. Maybe even some suggestions on moving the aquascapes or anything you think.
Footbag: I have 2 fish so far 1 Yellow Tang and 1 Bi Color Blennie. I love zoo's also I have 3 different colonies in the tank currently. Hoping to find some more diverse colors to put in.
AFTRHRS: I do not have a fuge/sump. I am thinking of doing one in the future but am going to try and avoid one if all possible. I just purchased this tank so a bigger one is not an option right now since I live on the 3rd floor of a house. I am going to be building a new house hopefully and going to put a 300 inwall in that will be fun :) I also started dripping Kalk 3 days ago so hopefully that will promote some corraline growth.
obtusewit: The powerhead thing is a very good idea and I tried that and heres what happened. It constantly blue the live sand everywhere. For some reason it would hit the front glass and throw up the sand in the corner. I am trying to figure out how to get around this right now thats a very good idea. The corals you mentioned I will take a look for I haven't seen any yet around my area.

neowind

I also have 10 Nass Snails, 8 Astrea, and 6 Scarlet Hermits. How much live rock do you think I could add and still give the tang enough swimming room?

pacopetty

It all depends on the pieces you buy. Some weigh a lot and some are very pourous and light weight. I just took my time and bought piece by piece. Every time I go somewhere I check for any LFS that sells LR and I go check them out.
I was playing softball out of town this weekend and found an awesome 23lb LR! It's absolutely amazing and transformed my tank by its self and I already had 80 lbs of LR in my tank.
I think you will be happier with your selection if you buy piece by piece and slowly build your reef.
BTW great looking tank.
Andy

evilss

I agree with the guys about more live rock. i personaly like caves in my aquscape. my fish love them as well. it looks like a very good start though. good luck.

smoothounds

It looks like you have a pretty decent amount of live rock there just built it differently. Put a couple large pieces on the bottom and build up bridging the gaps. When done your live rock will take up allot more room and it will look a million times better.
This is my 26 gallon bow front with 50 pounds of live rock. I love live rock and it was full but it just felt incomplete.

smoothounds

Here it is after removing probable 15-20 pounds of live rock but having rearanged it. It looks allot better, gives the fish more room to swim, and feels complete. I suggest trying it.