I am sure this has been asked before...but....

A

aer21

What size of tank would you suggest a "newbie" to saltwater start with?

boom215

i was told the biggest i could afford. This includes all needed materials, filters, power heads, live rock, live sand, lights(optional), heater, all the tests kits, refractormeter, inhabitants, there not cheap, and dont forget all those unexpected projects or costly mistakes you make.

hot883

The larger the system the better. Think of it this way; if you put a drop of vinegar in a small glass of water you will taste it. Put the same amount in a gallon jug, you won't taste it.
Water quality is very important. If something dies in a small tank the quality will be effected, where it won't effect at all or as much in a larger tank. Stay away from anything less than 50 gallons in my opinion as a beginner. I bought a 55 gal. tank setup at walmart for $138. Good enough to get me started. I have since added many hundreds into it, for lights, better filtration, live rock, live sand, power heads for circulation, etc. This hobby is expensive, smaller is not always cheaper or better.
Oh, by the way, WELCOME

A

aer21

Can anyone suggest some good reading material? Everyone I talk to tells me to READ READ READ, and take it SLOW SLOW SLOW.....

hot883

Originally Posted by AER21
Can anyone suggest some good reading material? Everyone I talk to tells me to READ READ READ, and take it SLOW SLOW SLOW.....
Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert fenner. Disregard the area he talks about using crushed coral though. (that's outdated)

1journeyman

Welcome to the hobby!
Anything by Fenner or Calfo is good. Tullock's beginner book is ok but a bit outdated. Michael's "A pockect Expert Guide to Marine Fishes" is great to have, the "Pocket guide to Marine Inverts" is ok.
The bigger tank the better. Sit down and figure out a budget. Also, read and decide what type of tank you want. Reef tanks are awesome, but the lighting will hit your wallet like an anvil falling from 10,000 feet.
The reason bigger are better is in part due to water quality (as mentioned above). You can read on the nano section of this site, however, and see that many nano tanks are kept successfully. It just takes a lot more diligence on your part... if the AC in your home breaks for 3 days and you have 200 gallons of water you are probably fine. If you only have a 5 gallon tank water temp is quickly going to be an issue... things like that (in addition to water chemistry as mentioned in previous post).
Another reason bigger is better is due to livestock. Marine fish can't be crammed together like freshwater fish can.
Still another reason is overall cost. The equipment is more expensive the bigger you get, but not in proportion to the increase in gallons. Example... you won't pay twice as much for equipment from a 50 gallon to a 100 gallon.
like I said, first thing to do is figure out what type of tank you want. Then, figure out your budget and go from there.

acrylic51

I would opt for 75 or bigger.....The biggest thing is the expense....The bigger you go the more expensive the equipment gets IMO.....A 55 is ok, but it's so narrow and harder to aquascape, where a 75 and up is a little wider and easier to work with

leftyblite

Another good book is "The New Marine Aquarium" by Michael Palleta. This book plus the book by Fenner plus this forum are great ways to start out right in this very addictive hobby.

farmboy

Bigger is better. Caveat--DO make sure your floor can handle it. I'm wanting to get a bigger tank(currently 75g) and I will have to shore up -no pun- my flooring to go much bigger. Water is around 8.1 pounds per gallon.
Oh yeah, Welcome!

murph

I started with a 75 but if I had it to do over again I would bite the bullet and buy a 120. You will soon realize that there is no such thing as instant gratification when it comes to this hobby so as far as cost go it can be spread out over several months.
If your on a budget it could be up to a year before all your equipment and LR is in place and you can start adding fish. This may seem like a long time but in the end you will end up with a much more suitable environment for those first tank inhabitants.
After the holidays I plan on setting up a 120 and if your interested here is my intended schedule and cost.
Month 1
120 Tank; $230
Argonite substrate for shallow sand bed; $150
Month 2 through 4
One of the big hits $350 for lighting and thats just for PC
Two five gallon buckets salt mix $100
150 gallons of RO/DI water from LFS (there are other alternatives here) $75
Month 5
Time to set up tank add substrate and water. Begin adding LR. Another big hit. My plan is half base half LR. LR cost uncured for 75 pounds around $300 mail order. Base rock for me is probably free since I live in Florida and cant swing a dead cat without hitting suitable rock to use as base. Power heads at this point too. Around 100 bucks for good water turn over.
Month 6 through 7
Add some filtration and skimmer. Around 500 bucks for mid quality stuff.
Month 8 if water chemistry seems stable maybe add a hardy fish and see how he does. The possibility of adding something unwanted as far as cheeping out on base rock does exist.
Month 10 transfer 75 gallon inhabitants and LR to 120, if all seems well and turn 75 gallon in to nice sump/fuge.
Month 12 actually start thinking about adding my intended live stock to make it a true reef tank.
A year goes by quick doesn't it.

farmboy

Originally Posted by Murph
Month 2 through 4
One of the big hits $350 for lighting and thats just for PC
Two five gallon buckets salt mix $100
150 gallons of RO/DI water from LFS (there are other alternatives here) $75
You ar not too far from buying your own RO/DI unit. Something to think about. :thinking: I'm gonna have to bite that bullet myself. I use about a quart a day in makeup water. (NOT RO/DI -- shame on me)

murph

Good point farm!
Actually those cost I listed included useing some stuff I alread have i.e. test kit hydrometer etc. Initial start up cost from scratch would probably run another $200 or so.

fishmamma

I started small- my first sw tank is 16 gallons, not long afterward I started a 29 gallon since I was not going to be happy with only two fish.
Smaller tanks are more work to maintain on a daily basis, but I find water changes and cleaning to be quite easy. Personally, I was driven by space constraints, but if I could have started with any size I would have gone somewhere in the 40-75 gallon range. You will no doubt enjoy what ever size you beging with, and eventually the bug will bite you and you will want MORE, MORE, MORE!