I asked this before but...

I never really got an answer. I QT, my tank was empty for a month. So I have zero Ick. When i get a frag or something...cant i get ick in my tank that way? I dont have the lighting to QT all my corals and such. So how do i keep my tank ick free?

mary

Every critter, well fish anyway, has the potential for getting ich. It is in their system. Stress lowers their immune system and they then become ill. Are you saying you have a one gallon tank? Anything would be stressed in a one gallon. The water changes in a one gal. that are needed would destroy all the beneficial bacteria which fish need abuntantly. If I have misunderstood you, forgive me. If the tank were filled with live rock, that would be somewhat beneficial, but room for one inhabitant, or two.

I'm kinda lost. Where are you getting one Gallon from? If your thinking that says 1 QT...no...its I QT ( ABCDEFGH"I") :) Im saying I currently QT all my fish, but when i add a Coral that hasnt been QTed...will that not defeat the whole purpose of me QTing my fish by introducing ick into the main tank THAT way?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
soccer4life94, there is a chance that that could happen because the life cycle of this parasite includes attaching to a hard substrate. This could include LR, the rock where a coral is attached, equiptment or event the aquarium glass. Take a look at the Ich post in the FAQ Thread at the top of this forum which I recently posted. It should give you a clearer understanding of ich and its threat.
Now, if you buy your corals and LR at a LFS, check and see if they keep fish in the same tanks as the item you want to purchase, or if they share filters. If not, then you are pretty safe. However, lets say you want a coral that also happens to be displayed in one of the fish tanks...then, yes, you may find that you will pick up ich, without ever having bought a fish! :scared: Ask your supplier about how they handle their non-fish items.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
BTW, ich is not "in their system" [fish]. Ich is a fish parasite that attaches like a leech to the surface of fish tissue. Think of it like dog ticks. If you find a dog that is stray, no matter if it is sick or healthy, in good shape or not, it is likely to have ticks or flees just because it is a stray dog. If you plan to keep the dog then naturally you are also going to de-louse the animal. Once the dog is cured of the tick/flee problem, you are then going to do everything you can to keep it from become a problem again. Flee colar, weekly bathes and dips, etc. You have to think along the same line with fish. Ich is an external parasite. In the captive system [aquaria] ich can and mostly will reach plague porpotions. Thus, please QT your fish before you put it in your display. :D

bullshark

Careful selection from tanks that do not have fish will drastically reduce the likelyhood of it happening.
Good Luck

:) Im trying very hard to follow all the Qting guidelines and such. It so hard to keep things clean and healthy < sigh> Oh well... I plan on getting corals from here. Anyone know if they keep their corals sep. from their livestock?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know for sure, but my guess is yes. I have also gotten corals from here and have not had a problem.
You can contact the store, though, using the Contact button to the left.

bullshark

Originally posted by soccer4life94
Hey Bullshark. Where from in Boston? Back Bay here...

Danvers....about 20 miles north. I just say Boston there cause if youre not from the area, youve never heard of Danvers....
John