I believe now , triggers are trouble

srfisher17

Originally Posted by 3stripedamsel
My three stipedamsel is one of the nicest fish around. Damsels will not kill fish they might chase and be a little mean. But certainly is not going to kill a angel or a maroon (if you dont' consider them damsels).
I put a egg crate dividing the tank now..with the niger trigger. Just can't bare to sell the guy.
Stress can easily kill a fish without leaving a mark. I don't think there has been any topic on this forum, at least since I joined, that is posted more often than damsels terrorizing other fish. Exceptions? Of course. But, I'd bet the farm that, ounce for ounce, damsels are responsible for more frustration and mayhem than any other group of fish. Very possibly because they are often sold to beginners who just don't know the reputation of these guys. (Often sold as a "cycle" fish, of all things) Here's a current thread that is typical:
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/294452/royal-gramma#post_2351063

One of the reasons is they cause so much trouble is beginners like to house them and a clown, gobies, firefish (nano fish) all in a 6 or 10 gallon reef tank. They are fighting for that little space.
If you house them in a 55 gallon or higher , they are a treat to watch, easy on the bioload and of all add a little color to the tank.
For some reason there are so many tang police but no damsel police.